1254 messages Options
1 ... 30313233343536 ... 63
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Coronavirus

DomB
Brownski -

I always welcome your comments.  Hopefully government will get its act together.  In the mean time, I think the best thing is a 'we're all in this together approach'.

And thanks for the well wishes - it means a lot.  Hopefully next season we can ski together!

Yes, there is fear, anger, apathy, but there have been so many silver linings.  For example, when things went sideways and after social distancing, the pastor of a parish (not even my father's parish) who was a family friend visited my dad multiple times - really self-less and loving acts that brought my dad peace.  Nurses, doctors, cops, store clerks, going into work for all of us and their families.

We will all get through this together!  Best wishes to all.

Reply | Threaded
|

onscott
In reply to this post by Jamesdeluxe
My kids used to play "The SIMS" 15 years ago - looks like they might have tweaked that game a bit. But seriously, they didn't need a supercomputer to discover this...a fart has a similar propagation model.  Anyway, if this is true then social distancing may have less of an effect than is currently believed.
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
I don't rip, I bomb.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
That dude is hilarious
Reply | Threaded
|

tirolski
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by onscott
Need masks. Folks to wear masks in public. If ya been sneezing or coughing stay the f home.
I wore ski mask in mini-market today, only saw cashier and she was at a distance. Got re-supplied at local drive thru local pharmacy, dog food, vitamins, fish oil, generic coldeze zinc things, a box of beers, dog food, etc. They didn't have thermometers but got some coming in tomorrow. Nobody goes in store at pharmacy. Called the order in and scheduled payment and  payed at drive thru then lady I know brought stuff outside for pick up. They brought the stuff out in a big bag. Washed hands and stuff I may have touched with soapy rag stored in a baggy. Took ski mask off when I drove home. Gonna let the stuff sit in car in garage to sit a while before I can work up the "courage" to bring it up on porch to spray the outsides down with soapy water. New normal. I'd rather pay a bit more to local place doing things with more "care". "Lock down" bought us time for rapid tests and treatments to hopefully be implemented effectively at hot spots ASAP.
Reply | Threaded
|

onscott
In reply to this post by Johnnyonthespot
Johnnyonthespot wrote
WTF, no hair or pubes LOL!!!  Is the kid like 13 years old or is this what guys are doing now?
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
I've been looking around to see what China is doing to treat patients.  They have been dealing with this since last November.  I would think they have something they have developed that is promising, nothing.  Is it they are keeping it under wraps or they just can't figure it out.  When I saw that plane in NY unloading the masks from China it turned my stomach. On the bright side they are probably going to stop eating dogs.  
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
tjf1967 wrote
I've been looking around to see what China is doing to treat patients.  They have been dealing with this since last November.  I would think they have something they have developed that is promising, nothing.  Is it they are keeping it under wraps or they just can't figure it out
I don't think we can believe anything coming out if that country, unfortunately.

That curve is just unbelievable. You *have* to think that, just by happenstance, they missed a few people who had it, resulting in an unreported 2nd wave. I can't believe that the US Government isn't spying on them to see if they have a bunch of mass graves that they aren't talking about (especially now that there are mass graves in NY: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-52241221)
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Sweden seems to be nearly all in on the herd immunity strategy that UK was talking about, but then gave up on:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/10/europe/sweden-lockdown-turmp-intl/index.html

It will be very interesting to see the results, over time.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
Seeing the stats on the respirators is incredible.  What a conundrum they are.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by tjf1967
tjf1967 wrote
 On the bright side they are probably going to stop eating dogs.
That was good 👍

tjf1967 wrote
When I saw that plane in NY unloading the masks from China it turned my stomach.
Same here
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Got our SBA PPP application on Monday night. It was only six pages but it was a ROYAL PITA. It required so much backup and I was clueless about what half this shit was. It was kind of a nightmare, way outside my zone.

I did my best, but was 99.9% sure there must be at least one mistake in there, somewhere.

I got no confirmation to indicate that it was received or correct or wrong.

Weds and Thursday I called a bunch of times. My loan rep guy just kept saying "I don't know anything, I'll call you when I do."  I admit I was pretty pushy.

If we don't get a loan, I can live with it, but I didn't want some stupid thing like, you left out your middle initial and your application was rejected and now the money is all gone, or some such shit.

Today I took the pushy to another level, started rattling all kinda cages. I even called Donald Trump. (haha)

I finally got this guy, Stanley the VP of Commercial Lending ON THE PHONE.

He had a ton of patience. I told him I'd buy him a case of his favorite wine, if he'd do a screen share with me to review the application.

We found 5 errors and fixed them on the spot.  This was at 2pm today.

He just called me from the car, on the way home from the office. He submitted our application after we got off the phone and in a few hours the SBA approved it.

HOLY CRAP!

I have nothing in writing yet so I'm not counting my chickens, but I am pretty pumped.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
Harv that would be great news!!!
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
tjf1967 wrote
I've been looking around to see what China is doing to treat patients.  They have been dealing with this since last November.  I would think they have something they have developed that is promising, nothing.  Is it they are keeping it under wraps or they just can't figure it out.  When I saw that plane in NY unloading the masks from China it turned my stomach. On the bright side they are probably going to stop eating dogs.
I read China stopped the export of med supplies once the knew they had a situation on their hands, but at the same time they went out in the market and bought out other countries supplies...Now we have buy them back from them..
They also stopped all flight into Hunan(sp) but let flights leave , hence spreading the virus..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
When we moved last summer I got some great service from my homeowners insurance company.  This lady Louise really hooked me up, so much so that I finally decided to bundle my auto insurance and we saved a lot. Like $700 a year.

The company is Plymouth Rock.

I just got an email from them.

The are lowering my next auto and homeowners premiums by 25%.

They are giving me the option to pocket the money if I am unemployed, and suggesting that if I am still working, I use some of the savings to help healthcare workers with the supply of PPE.

That is fucking cool.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by JasonWx
Thanks Jason. I feel weird about taking the money, but really almost all will going to people who are currently unemployed, who are struggling to file for unemployment.
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
That is what it is there for. You will end up making more than you normally would have. You put up with the shit. We will end up spending 6trillion dollars on this virus. 60k people will die. Now what?
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Yeah except we (America) don't really have the money.

I do agree that it should cause less disruption to keep people in their jobs.

Be very interesting to see how far back the economy comes when we "reopen."
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
tjf1967 wrote
. We will end up spending 6trillion dollars on this virus. 60k people will die. Now what?
There is zero chance of runaway inflation because every other country is spending tons of money on the virus as well? So we all just go on living our lives? And the "National Debt" continues to be a useless gauge of our country's success or failure?
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
Barrons would disagree with that statement Matt ,  here is that contrarian view  . i capsulized it , it is a lengthy article .

To wit :   "after WW 2 wartime deficits and national debt that were created by money printing( which is what this amounts to ) have proved inflationery throughout history .Moreover globalization already in reyreat before corona will likely be further curtailed as suply chains are relocated to avoid border crossings rather than maximize comparative advantage "  ( over stimulation of BUY American ) when in fact capacity and technology is not there yet and to capitalize,  further sinks the debt

This was From Barrons UP and Down Wall st article 3/27/20 entitled EXpect the Unexpected after the crisis: Inflation

I also believe there will be systemic change in complex organizations and how work is organized , performed  and that disruption will generate additional short pressure on returns and employment as it unfolds . Certain industries are on the margin to disappear due to consumer confidence and or a rethinking of personal priority ...i could be wrong on this parricular statement but we will see .

As Yogi Berra said : the Future Ain't  WHat it Used to Be
Life ain't a dress rehearsal: Spread enthusiasm , avoid negative nuts.
1 ... 30313233343536 ... 63