classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
1254 messages Options
1 ... 32333435363738 ... 63
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Coronavirus

wonderpony
And, just for perspective, I started this thread a month ago.  As in four weeks ago.

Stay safe!
WP
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
wonderpony wrote
And, just for perspective, I started this thread a month ago.  As in four weeks ago.

Stay safe!
WP
Thanks for the perspective, WP. It’s a good point. The time compression of the last month has been intense.
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by JTG4eva!
JTG4eva! wrote
There isn’t going to be any magic bullet that eradicates CV-19, this isn’t Polio!

Especially combining CV-19 with known influenzas, when the world reopens many people are going to die of CV-19, it’s only a matter of when that happens.
Lots of definitive statements here.

I guess we'll see how this goes, but I'm pretty confident in saying you don't know these things to be absolutely true.
Reply | Threaded
|

onscott
In reply to this post by JTG4eva!
JTG4eva! wrote
He’s has found that the wave is real, but he’s still not convinced the course of action is right.
Whoa, wait one minute...you're telling me that a seasoned medical professional, on site, in the trenches may actually know something that the talking heads don't know?  Impossible, we shall have none of that independent thought. 
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by wonderpony
wonderpony wrote

Stay safe!
WP
Hey WP, do you want credit for starting this thread? This is like the 3rd time you've mentioned it.

wonderpony wrote
And, just for reference, look at the date that I started this thread.  It was dormant.  Look where we are now. Stay home, stay well, wash your damn hands.

WP
Also, billyymc started talking about it 12 days before you: https://forum.nyskiblog.com/Market-Philosophy-What-You-Got-tp4062250p4159498.html
Reply | Threaded
|

wonderpony
This post was updated on .
Down, boy. Take a lap.  It's just to put things in perspective.  Four weeks ago, this thread was dormant.  I would love that it were still dormant, trust me.  If it were still dormant, I would have finished out my ski season as planned, and hit over 35 days at GP.  I would be able to hug my son when he comes home.  We would have had as normal as possible a first Easter after my mom's death.  I would be looking forward to having a nice dinner with what's left of my family for my 55th birthday this coming weekend.  I would be seeing people I care about at work.  I would be going to my yoga studio, after my ski season ended.  

Knock yourself out. Read how I want to take credit for starting this thread into any of that.  Just go for it.  

And, just so you can prepare yourself, I will probably say something similar in a couple of weeks, or a month.   I would love to be able to write that things are better.  The stats and the graphs aren't saying that at the moment. Somebody, please prove me wrong.

WP

PS. I wouldn't be trying to figure out how to support our local small businesses, while I still have a paycheck. Read that in as well.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
I pray you are right, and come September we have a vaccination program in place and live in word that is free of CV-19.
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
They don't have vaccine for SARS I'm not entirely hopeful to get one for this and if they do it's not going to be for another year and a half.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Researchers did have a SARS vaccine ready for human testing in 2016, more than a decade after SARS was a thing.  They couldn’t get funding to test it, largely because SARS and MERS, neither of which was as widespread and deadly as SARS-CoV-2 (CV-19), petered out.  SARS only infected 8,000 people and killed 800 across two dozen countries.  Obviously CV-19 is behaving very differently.  MERS has reared it’s head a few times, and has had a higher fatality rate, but has been a pretty rare illness in the big picture.

Maybe the 10 plus years it took to get close to a SARS vaccine will shorten the development time for a SARS-CoV-2 vaccine?  Actually, work on MERS CoV vaccines over the past two years are more likely to get a SARS-CoV-2 vaccine to clinical trials quicker.  Either way, one UK scientist and one know-it-all on a regional ski blog seem to think we are maybe close, so surely it must be!
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
MC2 5678F589 wrote
Lots of definitive statements here.

I guess we'll see how this goes, but I'm pretty confident in saying you don't know these things to be absolutely true.
True enough....none of us, or even the best scientists, know much of anything about CV-19 to be absolutely true.  

Doing some more research it does appear (as measured so far) as though the genome mutation rate of CV-19 is much lower than in influenza.  That does give hope that a CV-19 vaccine, once developed, could offer longer term immunity, along the lines of MMR and Chicken Pox.  Counter to that, genome testing done on the virus from CV-19 patients in NY and Washington State show that some people in NY have a mutated CV-19 virus that is distinguished from the virus in Washington State.  Still lots to learn....
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
JTG4eva! wrote
Doing some more research it does appear....
Yeah man, I usually like to do that shit before running my mouth, but you have your methods, so who am I to argue?
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Don't give yourself too much credit there MC. You run your mouth plenty 🤦
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
campgottagopee wrote
Don't give yourself too much credit there MC. You run your mouth plenty 🤦
I usually like to ask questions. JTG likes to go with the definitive statements (some of which are not based in reality)... which is one of the reasons we have battles on here.

For example, faced with a question on what ski to buy I'll say something like "What kind of skiing are you looking to do?", and JTG will say "K2 Marksman, best ski ever for everything"
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Good news:
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
MC2 5678F589 wrote
Like, what's wrong with social distancing until September (the date they're now targeting for a vaccine)?
Like, dude....I’m just gonna leave this totally awesome statement right here.....as a shining example of the most ridiculous statement ever made by anyone who, like, claims their (non-definitive ?) statements are well researched and supported by facts.  Me, I, like, took a third look at genome mutation stats to back up an opinion I stand by (SARS-CoV-2 won’t be eradicated like Polio almost is).....whereas you, like, deliver a wildly speculative statement, a hope really, as though it was, like, a well established fact.  Yeah, you are, like, totally awesomely brilliant!  Hey, did the one scientist who hopes we have a vaccine ‘ready for use’ by September also tell you “they” were going to eradicate SARS-CoV-2?  That’s, like, totally awesome!

Like, sorry, but I’m not going to get into any further of a pissing match with no Valley Girl/Sarah Gilbert!

Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Hey, look at me, I’m MeCentric!

“Well that was.......something”

Yuk, yuk, yuk......
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
JTG4eva! wrote
Hey, look at me, I’m MeCentric!

“Well that was.......something”

Yuk, yuk, yuk......
You okay, man? Anything bothering you?
Reply | Threaded
|

witch hobble
First, it’s fun to follow the MC v JTG cross forum pissing match. Where will it flare up today? Ski forum? OT? Golf thread? Classifieds?

Second though......JTG why do you keep referencing Sara Gilbert? Did she do something? Because Darlene Conner seems like the opposite of a Valley Girl. I’m cornfused.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
MC2 5678F589 wrote
You okay, man? Anything bothering you?
Ha!  You’re killing me, man.  You, like, haven’t dusted THAT witty comeback off in a while!!!  I did take away your preferred quip, I s’pose....
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
In reply to this post by witch hobble
witch hobble wrote
JTG why do you keep referencing Sara Gilbert? .... I’m cornfused.
Im curious about this as well. I assume I missed a news story about her jumping to the head of the testing line or saying something dumb.
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
1 ... 32333435363738 ... 63