Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Coronavirus

Milo Maltbie
Marcski wrote
Harvey wrote
Six WHO Criteria for the ReOpening of a Locale or Country:

• First, that transmission is controlled;

• Second, that health system capacities are in place to detect, test, isolate and treat every case and trace every contact;

• Third, that outbreak risks are minimized in special settings like health facilities and nursing homes;

• Fourth, that preventive measures are in place in workplaces, schools and other places where it’s essential for people to go;

• Fifth, that importation risks can be managed;

• Sixth, that communities are fully educated, engaged and empowered to adjust to the “new norm”
We don't have any of these...perhaps the reason Trump decided to withold funds from the WHO...?
I don't get it.  Which of those criteria depend upon WHO? Maybe someone is just trying to distract and deflect blame.

mm
"Everywhere I turn, here I am." Susan Tedeschi
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
In reply to this post by Marcski
I think it has more to do with burying their head in the sand hoping China would get this under control.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Okay, but the WHO also said on January 24th that countries should get ready to do “active surveillance, early detection, isolation and case tracking”’ and Trump decided not do bother with any of that:
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
This is where we agree to disagree.  I believe the big orange clown knew he was going to close things down.  It was a matter of timing.  Whomever is in office would be getting shit about the timing.  This is not the time to assign blame it is full bore ahead until we get this under control. One of my bigger concerns which I did not think possible a few years ago is that he will bankrupt the country.

Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Why did you not think about that?

3 out of the last 4 GOP Presidents have put us on the path to "bankrupting the country" (which is a ridiculous concept for a country with its own currency, but it seems like you are wedded to it). Trump's tax plans (that he released before the election) were projected to cost the country trillions of dollars. You're surprised that he followed through with his intention to cut his own taxes (and the taxes of his rich buddies)?
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
The thing is: failure to plan really is planning for failure.

Trump, in his business, would always take that failure as an opportunity to just move on to the next grift.. (cough, cough), I mean, the next job....

Awful hard to do that when you're the President (but, to his credit, this latest failure has really caused a lot of people to forget about his failures in Puerto Rico, North Korea, China, etc.).
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
MC, are you enjoying pointing your finger, trying to place blame? Common man. Stop the political BS.

Right now isn't time for the politics. Even Cuomo said that, I give him credit for doing so. I respect him for that. The guy poking him, Trump, I have zero respect for.

We're in this together, bro. I don't want Harv to shut this thread down due to political tone. This place is somewhat of a relief for me while sheltering in place.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
campgottagopee wrote
MC, are you enjoying pointing your finger, trying to place blame? Common man. Stop the political BS.

Right now isn't time for the politics. Even Cuomo said that, I give him credit for doing so. I respect him for that. The guy poking him, Trump, I have zero respect for.

We're in this together, bro. I don't want Harv to shut this thread down due to political tone. This place is somewhat of a relief for me while sheltering in place.
People are blaming China, WHO, Downstaters, etc.

But I can't mention the guy in charge?

Come on, man. If you don't want to point fingers, don't point fingers, but don't yell at other people pointing fingers in places you don't want them pointed.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
This is day 35 of my Mom having a temp of 99 - 101. A month ago she woke up in the middle of the night and couldn't breathe. It would double her over in pain to breathe. Like all mom's, my mom is tough as hell so you know it hurt. She's been to 2 different hospitals for a slew of testing. She was tested for Covid which came back negative. Her doc called her last night (she's called my mom every other day for a month to check on her) to tell her that she completely believe she has Covid 19. With a 33% false negative in testing I believe it too. Her doc is now giving her medication as if she has adult shingles, or heavy anti viral drugs. She said she's seen positive results in some of her other patients.

Sharing this info in case there are others out there who've been tested and come back negative yet have all the symptoms.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
MC2 5678F589 wrote
campgottagopee wrote

People are blaming China, WHO, Downstaters, etc.

But I can't mention the guy in charge?

Come on, man. If you don't want to point fingers, don't point fingers, but don't yell at other people pointing fingers in places you don't want them pointed.
I'm not yelling. Friend to friend, it was a request. Continue on if you wish because I can ignore it. I was just putting it out there.

My thoughts are we can play the blame game later. Right now I'm choosing the high road as is our Gov
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
There are some simple things we can all do to tone it down.

One idea: "Big orange clown" doesn't really add the idea. Maybe replace it with president or something a bit more neutral.

Camp all the best to your mom. 35 Days makes me wonder. I've had a headache for a month. If you can be asympt why couldn't a headache be a sign?

Anyway, time for a short break.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

wonderpony
Just in case you were curious, according to Kellyanne Conway, " This is Covid-19, not Covid-1, folks. You would think that people charged with the World Health Organization facts and figures would be on top of that. This is just a pause right now."  Actually, I am not quite sure what any of that means.   Source. 

WP
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
And we're back on break.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
https://www.pix11.com/news/coronavirus/police-department-reminds-residents-to-wear-pants-while-checking-mailbox
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Hey Harv, did you get any money from this program before it ran out? (Or is this a different program?)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/us-policy/2020/04/16/congress-coronavirus-small-business-trump/
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
That is the program we applied for.  All the advice I got said "don't worry it won't run out, but even if it does they will add more."

As I mentioned somewhere else, the application process was a royal pita. I spent the last two weeks amassing the paperwork and trying to ensure we weren't submitting any false info.  Penalties for "knowingly" submitting false info are 5 years in prison and $250,000 fine.

The formula used was very specific and not really flexible. I wasn't sure I wanted to submit, and surely wanted less.  We won't be able to use what we applied for. I'm guessing we will use half of it.  We can return the unused amount after 8 weeks. We will pay interest on the unused amount, but the rate is super low (1%) so it won't be too much.

Anyway the simple answer is we got the money in our account late in the day yesterday.

We called each staff member and told them what was going on. Basically to stay within the rules we had to have them come back immediately. I was surprised and kind of bummed at some of the reactions I got.  A few were cranky to be coming off unemployment. This was after I'd called them a week ago asking if they wanted to be included in our loan request.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
Harvey wrote
That is the program we applied for.  All the advice I got said "don't worry it won't run out, but even if it does they will add more."

As I mentioned somewhere else, the application process was a royal pita. I spent the last two weeks amassing the paperwork and trying to ensure we weren't submitting any false info.  Penalties for "knowingly" submitting false info are 5 years in prison and $250,000 fine.

The formula used was very specific and not really flexible. I wasn't sure I wanted to submit, and surely wanted less.  We won't be able to use what we applied for. I'm guessing we will use half of it.  We can return the unused amount after 8 weeks. We will pay interest on the unused amount, but the rate is super low (1%) so it won't be too much.

Anyway the simple answer is we got the money in our account late in the day yesterday.

We called each staff member and told them what was going on. Basically to stay within the rules we had to have them come back immediately. I was surprised and kind of bummed at some of the reactions I got.  A few were cranky to be coming off unemployment. This was after I'd called them a week ago asking if they wanted to be included in our loan request.
my friend has a med size law firm and applied and received the above money..his employees are pissed..saying that they made more money on unemployment..

it seems that everyone on unemployment is receiving additional 600 in full regardless of what they made..I was under the impression there 600 was suppose to get you close to your original salary not over it..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by Harvey
People are people.  How would you rate what the program is going to do for your business on a scale of 1-10.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
IMO it's really good if you are an employee. A paycheck, health insurance, and a purpose in life are good things. Apparently some of our employees don't agree.

For the business it's a wash, I think. Lots of extra work for the owners.  We don't really have the work for the staff we have. I like running a company where the amount of work matches the staff. People without enough to do cause drama.

I'll give it a 3. But that's a guess, because no one REALLY knows precisely what the money can be used for. Not me, not the bank, not the SBA, not the accountant, not the lawyer. I'll give it a final rating in 8 weeks.

If the employees said something like "thank you for working to extend my employment" then I would give it a 6. The reaction was really a downer.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
We won't be able to use what we applied for. I'm guessing we will use half of it.  We can return the unused amount after 8 weeks.
Does the PPP program include stipulation that employees must be paid at their pre-CV19 salary/wage?
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
1 ... 34353637383940 ... 63