Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Coronavirus

campgottagopee
MC2 5678F589 wrote
campgottagopee wrote
raisingarizona wrote
Sometimes you gotta punch em right in the nose though.
 Truth. And do it with a smile 😊
You're gonna smile and punch me in the nose when we finally meet?

Seems like something a bully would do.
LOL ---- truthfully that's not my style. TJ is the one a person would want to be cautious of. I can see it in his eyes. Guys like him are a special breed. I know, I have a couple friends just like him.✌️
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
campgottagopee wrote
LOL ---- truthfully that's not my style. TJ is the one a person would want to be cautious of. I can see it in his eyes. Guys like him are a special breed. I know, I have a couple friends just like him.✌️
Yeah, I don't think either of you guys would punch anyone.

If anyone seriously is getting that worked up about a ski forum, I have seriously misjudged what we're all doing here. I thought we were just bullshitting.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
MC2 5678F589 wrote
campgottagopee wrote
Yeah, I don't think either of you guys would punch anyone.

If anyone seriously is getting that worked up about a ski forum, I have seriously misjudged what we're all doing here. I thought we were just bullshitting.
Yes. I didn't mean from here. I mean in general. I'm just glad he's my friend. 💪
Reply | Threaded
|

tirolski
The chirpin goin on reminds me of Canadian letterkenny comedy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozDDYcyrCNE
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
https://www.foxnews.com/us/jacksonville-florida-beaches-reopen-coronavirus-phase-1
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
https://cortlandstandard.net/2020/04/18/cortland-cancels-summer/

This really sucks. Hopefully our Gov provides funding for these much needed programs. We still have yet to see the wave of covid like they are in NYC.
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
This post was updated on .
The state has a 15 billion dollar deficit Camp,, so not likely . As a matter of fact look for even more pain to,follow. major cuts at schools , SUNY, hospitals , all state op facilities will be taking major cuts , nothing is a sacred  cow,when the shortfall is that huge and the revenue is not there until recovery is fully realized , not just upstate regional recovery .

In our region just this week we have furloughed 1000 HEALTHCARE WORKERS ( they keep their benefits )  In 6 hospitals throughout the region until the situation improves census .  These are the HEROES everone talks about ,but there is NO revenue when all elective procedures and other regular procedures are curtailed and census is down as a result . Many outpatient services are handled only on an emergency basis and all off campus clinics were shuttered

MOREOVER In Vermont just  yesterday it was recommended by the Chancellor they PERMANENTLY close  3 State Colleges : Lyndon State , Johnson State ( which had earlier been consolidated into Northern Vermont University ) they are now heading to be closed as is Vermont Tech College .

I see this,possibility in NYS with both colleges and major,consolidations of smaller school districts . The other  state operated agencies will be subjected to deep cuts .

The revenue simply is not there and wont be until the economy slowly rebounds.   Smaller less affected regions will recover before The HUGE economic engine that is NYC   NYC Metro region is not going to be there for some time .THAT engine is the  straw that stirs the drink in terms of tax revenue generation

So Lots of pain in the near future IMHO
Life ain't a dress rehearsal: Spread enthusiasm , avoid negative nuts.
Reply | Threaded
|

Jamesdeluxe
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
When they talk about closing a pool, do they mean Yaman Park? I swam there a few times as a kid with my cousins from Cortland!
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
In reply to this post by warp daddy
warp daddy wrote
MOREOVER In Vermont just  yesterday they PERMANENTLY closed, 3 State Colleges : Lyndon State , Johnson State ( which had earlier been consolidated into Northern Vermont University ) they are now closed as is Vermont Tech College .
I don’t disagree with your post.  Revenue (for both businesses and governments) isn’t there.  Cash is king, as they say.  If you don’t have the $$$ coming in you can’t pay it out.  The longer this goes on the worse the deficits will become, which will beget further cuts and actions, and as that happens more people will be personally affected in more ways....which will lead to more calls to open things up.  That cycle will get worse before it gets better.

That said, with respect to your comments regarding VT State  college closures, while the COVID-19 crisis may have accelerated the implementation, can you really blame those PERMANENT closures on this crisis?  The VT State college system was struggling before this crisis.  There’s probably a good chance those campuses would have been closed in the future without this crisis.

The VT college situation is a microcosm of the situation we all are in, the opportunity we should all be embracing.  For many, we have been given some measure of pause.  We have an opportunity in crisis to evaluate what is truly important to us, our wants and needs, the things we miss and will value most when we come out the other end, as well as those we don’t miss and can eliminate.  Compared to what our everyday was before this, many have been given a couple months to spend some additional time getting their shit more in order.

We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
 JTG :    Sad news indeed . Yes , you are quite right the Vt state college system has been underfunded for some time and like most HE state systems and privates they are faced with declining birth rates that have and will continue to impact enrollments for years . There are very large existential questions that need to be answered .

1. In 3 generations the college going rate has gone from 10- 30-  to now well over 80 percent of hs grads accessing higher education ...is that sustainable ? Given impacts on familiies ability to fund it and see number 2

2. Is the economy that emerges post Corona pandemic  able to sustain that  in terms of job openings ,given systemic. Change that is likely to occur in the various employment circumstances and modalities ?

3. Is there a more efficient model for higher education ?

4 . What as a nation do we do with non college bound  ? well some say more vocational training , some say a year of public service like the old CCC , some say  military conscription, some say  entrepreneurship mentoring .., what is the means to operationalize any or all of these which will all require Financing

It is likely IMHO  that a similar effect as in VT may well  cascade in other states .  The pandemic while  NOT the root cause will only exacerbate financial and systemic disruption across many complex enterprises .  

This undoubtedly will result in systemic changes in the means , modalities and scale of operations of most complex enterprises ( schools , colleges ,healthcare , business, industry , government etc ) until  a vaccine materializes,.

Why : Consumer confidence and individual needs for safety and financial security may very well be slow to abate  and until that effect subsides and safety and security needs are  met beforehand ANY discretionary spending decisions will be  sluggish IMHO

"The Future Ain't What it Used Be" ....Yogi Berra
Reply | Threaded
|

witch hobble
I’ve been following that Johnson/Lyndon story. I don’t think it is official yet, although likely. I think it is still just the University system chancellor’s recommendation. Unless I’ve missed something.
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
Witchy : correct it is a reccommendation , AND some might be of the opinion that the chancellor is deliberately crying wolf ro . invoke legislative support  . The fact remains the. Root cause is still there and the. Competition for enrollment is fierce and post Corona may be cut throat based on ability to abate costs for both student families and for insrituional operations . Changes are coming for certain , that outcome is inevitable , it remains to be seen as to the exact structure of said change .

Caselton is sitting pretty in any scenario  
Reply | Threaded
|

witch hobble
I know we have had the conversation  in some college advice thread for snoloco or something, and everyone agrees that making a college decision based on skiing is NOT A GOOD IDEA.........but man, Johnson State/NVU is really ideally located for an eastern US skiing destination. Inside some sort of Smuggs/Stowe/Jay bermuda triangle.
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
True ,  but i think their future is very sketchy . If they have been earmarked TWICE in the last. 18 months , well it would be a stretch to see them being solid for the next 4 years ,..

Why :   Given  serious declines in both federal and state aid for H.E. That are likely to occur if the recovery is slow in being realized in the major metropolitan regions that are major tax revenue generators in most States . That coupled with the fierce competition for a declining pool of students .

Make certain to have  plan B or C as far as college choice is concerned

As a retired college president , frankly i would not advise picking a school "solely " on proximity to skiing  for many reasons , but hey  ti each his own .

Hope it all works out for your student and frankly for those towns where those Colleges are located.  Those towns will suffer when  their signature employer vanishes .

Reply | Threaded
|

witch hobble
My student goes to the polytechnic institute down in woo-stah. She’s positioned well for success in spite of her father’s predisposition to goof his life away!

I pay attention because my own family business that I am the chief, cook, bottlewasher-type of is in a college town over in upside down Vermont.  Our business is ancillary to a small town, former normal school>teacher’s college>state college>now university. I watch VT in horror of what might be coming down the pike!
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
WPI !!!! Great school .,hey gotta love GOMPIE , the most unusal mascot in the universe !!

You are too modest , it sounds like you have been a very good role model for your daughter .
 I hope everything works out for you and those small towns in the NEK and so Vt and i also  hope  i am absolutely wrong in my analysis  .

Nice chatting with you
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
NYSB was a tiny part of the supply chain today, helping out on the Northeast Face Shield Project.

Drove 300+ miles, and was able to work in distanced visits with three ski buddies, Scottski, IceCoast Chef, and Jamesdeluxe. Got 15-30 mins with each.

It was actually pretty fun on the way north. Sun was out, sunroof open, blasting my own tunes.

I realize I hadn't seen anyone beyond my girls, and my business partner, in the last several weeks. Haven't even been to the store. I actually felt out of practice socializing.

"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Harv my son is volunteering at Northwood’s innovation lab to make face shields for the local hospital on the 3D printers

Cool time lapse video of the process below

My son is the kid in the baseball hat at the back bench in the beginning of the video

https://www.facebook.com/100530284667774/posts/245748676812600/
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by Jamesdeluxe
Jamesdeluxe wrote
When they talk about closing a pool, do they mean Yaman Park? I swam there a few times as a kid with my cousins from Cortland!
Yep
That place has been around forever
1 ... 40414243444546 ... 63