1 ... 43444546474849 ... 63
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Coronavirus

Brownski
MC2 5678F589 wrote
Brownski wrote
 So we either need to vaccinate everybody (almost everybody) or else develop the immunity naturally through exposure.
So this assumes that we can develop immunity naturally through exposure. Do we know that we can yet? Has that been proven?
Yes. That’s generally the way it woks. Not gaining immunity from exposure would be the surprise. There have been anecdotal accounts of re-infection but my understanding is that it’s not clear whether or not they’re real, super rare or a result of false positive tests.
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottySkis1

Last week the government made an oil deal that he said would level it out. I guess he will blame this on past administrations  too. He blames everyone else for his long list of shortfalls. He talks about his news conference ratings instead of talking about the over 40,000 Americans that have died and on top of that the only reason for the high ratings for the new conferences is that the 20 plus million unemployed Americans that are watching and out of work are looking for help, guidance and answers. But he just tries to belittle every journalist especially if it's a woman that ask's a question because he can't even begin to tell the truth."

I sorry MC for your loss
I know 3 fucken people now gone because of viruses and wife of my step mom's best friend who lost her husband 2 days ago is battling it
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
The Saudis shipped 30 million barrels to the gulf before they made the deal. We can fill or reserves cheap I guess.
Reply | Threaded
|

Peter Minde
This post was updated on .
MC, I'm sorry to hear about your family member.

On oil: the price of West Texas crude is now negative.  Last I read, there's 160,000,000 barrels of oil in floating storage.  I.e.it's spread across 80 Very Large Crude Carriers because refineries are full up.  You can't pump oil in Texas directly to a boat.

COMMENTS: BOB YAWGER, DIRECTOR OF FUTURES, MIZUHO, NEW YORK

“It’s a historic day. What it means is there’s no available storage anymore so the price of the commodity is effectively worthless. There’s no place to put it, so you’ve go to flush it basically."

https://gcaptain.com/spot-u-s-oil-futures-crash-below-zero-heres-what-the-experts-are-saying/

The oil deal: so much winning.  I just wish the price of diesel would drop the way gasoline has.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Yeah the timing of the whole Russian/Saudi pumpathon couldn’t have been worse
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
You think it wasn't planned?  They have been trying to put the frackers out since 2007. They almost got it done in 09. I think the most they ever shipped to Texas in a month was 8 million barrels.  This is wild. I guess they can just sit off shore for a couple months. They don't have to worry about Iran blowing them up if they are sitting in the gulf.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
tjf1967 wrote
You think it wasn't planned?  They have been trying to put the frackers out since 2007. They almost got it done in 09. I think the most they ever shipped to Texas in a month was 8 million barrels.  This is wild. I guess they can just sit off shore for a couple months. They don't have to worry about Iran blowing them up if they are sitting in the gulf.
I have no idea but It’s easy to believe that US producers were the real target, like you said. You don’t even have to believe Russia and the Saudis were conspiring to believe that. But I was referring to them creating a glut on the world market right as the Covid pulled the demand rug out from under everybody. I imagine both governments wish they could turn back the clock on their feud. The US has a huge diverse economy and the dollar is still the de facto world currency. If prices don’t rebound quickly, it’ll hurt them much worse then us, in spite of our higher production costs. Their economies depend on oil much more then ours, right?
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
That's true but if you are in Texas the largest producer in the US with a bigger GDP than the Saudis they may not agree.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by Brownski
Brownski wrote
MC2 5678F589 wrote
Brownski wrote
 So we either need to vaccinate everybody (almost everybody) or else develop the immunity naturally through exposure.
So this assumes that we can develop immunity naturally through exposure. Do we know that we can yet? Has that been proven?
Yes. That’s generally the way it woks. Not gaining immunity from exposure would be the surprise. There have been anecdotal accounts of re-infection but my understanding is that it’s not clear whether or not they’re real, super rare or a result of false positive tests.
I know the way it generally works, but I haven't heard that they have confirmed this yet. And yes, it would be a surprise. Which is why it's weird they haven't said anything about it, one way or the other.

I don't know if the "South China Morning Post" is real, but they're reporting a study (not peer reviewed) that says young people don't get much in the way of antibodies:
https://amp.scmp.com/news/china/science/article/3078840/coronavirus-low-antibody-levels-raise-questions-about

Edit to add: It also appears that very few people in the world have the antibodies. Which either means that not many people got it (which would be pretty bad for the herd immunity strategy) or people had it but didn't get the antibodies (right?):
https://www.theguardian.com/society/2020/apr/20/studies-suggest-very-few-have-had-covid-19-without-symptoms
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
Am interesting take.
https://mobile.twitter.com/lilienfeld1/status/1251335135909122049
I don't rip, I bomb.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by Johnnyonthespot
Johnnyonthespot wrote
MC2 5678F589 wrote
Dude, you have to stop with the Fox News.

It's so hard to pick out the facts in articles like that because they fill it with so much propaganda, innuendo, and things that sound close enough to something that *could* be true, they are treated as fact.

"My sons say the chance of that is 0.00something" is not a scientific fact.

I know everyone wants good news, but you have to be very careful about news stories that tell you exactly what you want to hear.

It's like hyping a "Climate Change is solved!" article in 2015, like you did here:

https://forum.nyskiblog.com/Cold-Water-in-North-Atlantic-tp4063343p4063837.html
Did you miss this part?
"He pointed out that not a single COVID-19 patient of his that has been on the hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin regimen for five days or more has had to be intubated"
Or this part?
"important randomized study still unpublished from Wuhan, China.”

He said that his team spoke to the medical leadership in China and vetted the study.

“We think it's real,” Dr. Oz said on Thursday.

He then went on to explain what the study, which looked at 62 patients, showed. He noted that half of the patients got the traditional therapy being offered in China and the other half got the traditional therapy plus hydroxychloroquine."
Or the rest of the article?
One reason that I don't like Fox News is because they put out a bunch of shit ("Climate change is false!", "Immigrants are criminals!", "Obama was born in Kenya!"), but they never seem to spend much time circling back and correcting themselves if the things they were claiming turn out to be bullshit:
https://apnews.com/a5077c7227b8eb8b0dc23423c0bbe2b2
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
I actually logged in just to post that. All I can  say is I DIDN'T DO IT!
I don't rip, I bomb.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Johnnyonthespot wrote
I actually logged in just to post that. All I can  say is I DIDN'T DO IT!
Wasn't me either....  I swear
Reply | Threaded
|

tirolski
In reply to this post by tjf1967
Regarding the recent discussion of oil supplies, do you folks remember what the news was on 20-APR a decade ago? Deepwater Horizon Disaster. A gusher of epic proportions. Y'all think oil comes from old fossils? We were supposedly  running out of oil. Now they're paying people to take it. I didn't make this stuff up.
It's past my time for another nap. It snowed again today too.
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
MC2 5678F589 wrote
Johnnyonthespot wrote
MC2 5678F589 wrote
Dude, you have to stop with the Fox News.

It's so hard to pick out the facts in articles like that because they fill it with so much propaganda, innuendo, and things that sound close enough to something that *could* be true, they are treated as fact.

"My sons say the chance of that is 0.00something" is not a scientific fact.

I know everyone wants good news, but you have to be very careful about news stories that tell you exactly what you want to hear.

It's like hyping a "Climate Change is solved!" article in 2015, like you did here:

https://forum.nyskiblog.com/Cold-Water-in-North-Atlantic-tp4063343p4063837.html
Did you miss this part?
"He pointed out that not a single COVID-19 patient of his that has been on the hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin regimen for five days or more has had to be intubated"
Or this part?
"important randomized study still unpublished from Wuhan, China.”

He said that his team spoke to the medical leadership in China and vetted the study.

“We think it's real,” Dr. Oz said on Thursday.

He then went on to explain what the study, which looked at 62 patients, showed. He noted that half of the patients got the traditional therapy being offered in China and the other half got the traditional therapy plus hydroxychloroquine."
Or the rest of the article?
One reason that I don't like Fox News is because they put out a bunch of shit ("Climate change is false!", "Immigrants are criminals!", "Obama was born in Kenya!"), but they never seem to spend much time circling back and correcting themselves if the things they were claiming turn out to be bullshit:
https://apnews.com/a5077c7227b8eb8b0dc23423c0bbe2b2
Yeah. That one didn't age well. Good thing they're figuring it all out though. Sorry to hear about your relative. 2 guys at work lost relatives and my sister-in-law's uncle succumbed to the virus. I'm confident certain loved ones aren't going to make it if they get it. I hope everyone here gets through all this unscathed.
   I feel bad for the kids missing their proms and spring sports. Be smart everyone.
I don't rip, I bomb.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
In reply to this post by tirolski
tirolski wrote
Regarding the recent discussion of oil supplies, do you folks remember what the news was on 20-APR a decade ago? Deepwater Horizon Disaster. A gusher of epic proportions. Y'all think oil comes from old fossils? We were supposedly  running out of oil. Now they're paying people to take it. I didn't make this stuff up.
It's past my time for another nap. It snowed again today too.
Dude, that is some wild shit right there. I want you to post more.
Reply | Threaded
|

tirolski
B-ski I'll miss my nap and my typing is just slightly better than the dogs and she needs her nails done. But here goes.

Just making observation of oil stuff last decade. When I saw Deepwater disaster I thought both bad news and "good" news. Bad news was obvious. Good news was, "It's a gusher", beverly hillbilly type thing. It appears we'll be well stocked for oil for quite awhile. It'll be interesting to see how "consumers" respond. I like my suuby and just drive it now mainly to keep the brakes from sticking due to sitting. No way I'm gonna spend money on a Hummer (truck).
Reply | Threaded
|

tirolski
Enough about oil from me on this thread.
I'm trying to learn about this series from  MD's explanations of Covid.
See: Med Cram Medical lectures....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NM2A2xNLWR4
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
My biggest fear is that:
1. The disease is far more widespread than previously thought
2. You can get it over and over again

Sadly, I have seen nothing to definitively say that either thing is false.

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/have-fatality-numbers-from-new-york-already-debunked-the-santa-clara-serology-study
1 ... 43444546474849 ... 63