1254 messages Options
1 ... 41424344454647 ... 63
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Coronavirus

campgottagopee
warp daddy wrote
The state has a 15 billion dollar deficit Camp,, so not likely .
Maybe he can take it from the millions planned for LP, WF, Gore, and Bell
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
NYSB was a tiny part of the supply chain today, helping out on the Northeast Face Shield Project.

Drove 300+ miles, and was able to work in distanced visits with three ski buddies, Scottski, IceCoast Chef, and Jamesdeluxe. Got 15-30 mins with each.

It was actually pretty fun on the way north. Sun was out, sunroof open, blasting my own tunes.

I realize I hadn't seen anyone beyond my girls, and my business partner, in the last several weeks. Haven't even been to the store. I actually felt out of practice socializing.

That's cool
Reply | Threaded
|

Peter Minde
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
NYSB was a tiny part of the supply chain today, helping out on the Northeast Face Shield Project.

Drove 300+ miles, and was able to work in distanced visits with three ski buddies, Scottski, IceCoast Chef, and Jamesdeluxe. Got 15-30 mins with each.

It was actually pretty fun on the way north. Sun was out, sunroof open, blasting my own tunes.

I realize I hadn't seen anyone beyond my girls, and my business partner, in the last several weeks. Haven't even been to the store. I actually felt out of practice socializing.
     Harv I could be able to help out if you need to make another run.  LMK.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Peter best thing to do is sign up here:

https://www.nefaceshield.org/deliver/

I told them I could only do weekends, which was why I drove yesterday.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
campgottagopee wrote
warp daddy wrote
The state has a 15 billion dollar deficit Camp,, so not likely .
Maybe he can take it from the millions planned for LP, WF, Gore, and Bell
I'm more than a bit worried that we could see a significantly reduced Orda budget and limited snow making as a result

The capex will get cut back unless they can tuck it into the Trump infrastructure plan - wouldn't that be something Coumo getting Trump to pay for his pet projects

I'm also not sure I am good with teaching large numbers of people or riding the Gondi until we get a vaccine.  Social distancing is here to stay
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
The last thing I'm worried about is ORDA's budget or snowmaking at any of their hills.

I'm concerned for these kids. Every single stinkin summer program has been cancelled. Every one of them. Where are these little shithead's gonna go? In the streets?
Reply | Threaded
|

Jamesdeluxe
campgottagopee wrote
Where are these little shitheads gonna go?
https://www.cortlandbeer.com/our-beers/

Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Jamesdeluxe wrote
campgottagopee wrote
Where are these little shitheads gonna go?
https://www.cortlandbeer.com/our-beers/
LOL

Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
In reply to this post by Z
Z  skiing is the least of our problems , it is strictly discretionery  spending and non essential .

In the larger order of life , given the dire financial circumstances that are certain to occur for many given the staged , segmented and incremental recovery that will likely occur until the vaccine is in place and  guaranteed effective discretionery spending will be sluggish at best .

Simply put  people are frightened .This Is basic  Maslow's theory at work now .
Meanining Safety and Security needs will be primary concerns before Most will even consider venturing into public places let alone discretionery spending
Life ain't a dress rehearsal: Spread enthusiasm , avoid negative nuts.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
I can't believe I'm going to write this, but...

In Z's defense, the dire financial circumstances will hit ski area employees, too, and those employees are no less deserving of help than any other employees (just because their business is recreation).

Also yes, people will want safety & security, but I think we have to consider that this epidemic will be mostly contained by the time ski season rolls around.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
In reply to this post by warp daddy
I don’t think we’re going to see the ski areas open with social distancing rules in place. If you mandate reduced occupancy per chair/gondola, you create a crowding issue in the line. Also, given the budgetary pressures that are obviously coming, it’s probably safe to assume that the Orda hills will be running lean if they manage to open- which is probably the right thing to do.

Regarding the vaccination, I may be repeating myself but I think if we expect to remain in anything close to the current lockdown until the vaccine is available then we’re all fully and completely fucked. That will not work. I am disappointed that more people aren’t shifting to designing a herd-immunity strategy at this point. We flattened the curve successfully. It’s time to figure out what’s next but the powers that be seem to be mentally stuck in lockdown mode.
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
In reply to this post by warp daddy
warp daddy wrote
In the larger order of life , given the dire financial circumstances that are certain to occur for many given the staged , segmented and incremental recovery that will likely occur until the vaccine is in place and  guaranteed effective discretionery spending will be sluggish at best .
Ahhh....I know it’s hard, but TRY to keep up, warp...

MC2 5678F589 wrote
Like, what's wrong with social distancing until September (the date they're now targeting for a vaccine)?
On the good side, MC says we’ll be good before ski season!  That, and he’s right, ski centers and other rec/public health activities are a big enough piece of State spending (and employment) that they will reopen and have to remain going concerns, just like other businesses.  That said, every business will feel pain, ORDA will give up budget, snowmaking may be down, operations may be effected...and, in the grand scheme of the gradual and systematic emergence from this crisis, how all of that impacts our ski on snow time is gonna be very small potatoes.
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
In reply to this post by Brownski
Brownski wrote
We flattened the curve successfully.
IMHO, too soon to be talking about this in the past tenses, which some are doing.  We’ve been successful In flattening the curve, but there’s more  work to be done, or we risk being told to go directly back to SD jail, to not pass go, and for some of you to collect another $1,200.

Next steps are already being murmured about, they will happen slowly, as they probably should.  
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
We got three checks deposited into the account. We are going to sit on it mainly and see what happens come June.

The lady works in travel but is safe for now.  She works for the largest agency in the world and she’s been part of creating this new branch that caters to the wealthiest of the wealthy.

I’m working for the American Conservation Experience doing trail. Apparently conservation booms during recessions but if this virus is still doing it’s thing in June we might not get core members back so it’s still unclear what will happen.

I feel very lucky to be working and strangely more financially set than I’ve been in years. Weird eh?
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by Brownski
Brownski wrote
. I am disappointed that more people aren’t shifting to designing a herd-immunity strategy at this point. We flattened the curve successfully. It’s time to figure out what’s next but the powers that be seem to be mentally stuck in lockdown mode.
Brownski, exactly how many people are you willing to sacrifice for this herd immunity strategy? Anyone in your own family?

It's fine to sit around and bullshit on the internet, but do you really think that we should just accept a ton of deaths because you're worried about inflation or whatever?
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by JTG4eva!
JTG4eva! wrote
MC2 5678F589 wrote
Like, what's wrong with social distancing until September (the date they're now targeting for a vaccine)?
On the good side, MC says we’ll be good before ski season!  
Maybe the reason that I'm so pessimistic is that I keep taking shit for my (very brief) periods of optimism.

Thanks for kinda supporting the rest of my post, though.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by raisingarizona
raisingarizona wrote

I feel very lucky to be working and strangely more financially set than I’ve been in years. Weird eh?
I feel the same way, and I wonder if this is, in some way, a period of wealth transfer. That $600/week extra for Unemployment is very progressive and capping the eligibility for the $1200 check (while giving extra to parents) is also pretty progressive.

I have always said that in order to stimulate the economy, you have to give money to the people that would spend it (the poor & the middle class). If we can keep this kind of thing going, we may just get through this*.

*Note: we are (most likely) not going to keep this kind of thing going and I feel like there are going to be major hits to the economy because people will be scared to leave their houses.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
The vaccine is a long ways away..I think it's more important to develop some sort of treatment that will keep you out of the hospital . If you can make this disease more like the "common" flu , then we can get back to something close to normal..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
JasonWx wrote
The vaccine is a long ways away..
All of the world's top disease scientists are working on it, and I choose to believe that the 12-18 month projections are like initial hurricane projections that amp up the fear, but are really just meant to alert people to a possible reality and heighten the response.

In other words, I think it's a warning, not a set schedule.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
MC2 5678F589 wrote
Brownski wrote
. I am disappointed that more people aren’t shifting to designing a herd-immunity strategy at this point. We flattened the curve successfully. It’s time to figure out what’s next but the powers that be seem to be mentally stuck in lockdown mode.
Brownski, exactly how many people are you willing to sacrifice for this herd immunity strategy? Anyone in your own family?

It's fine to sit around and bullshit on the internet, but do you really think that we should just accept a ton of deaths because you're worried about inflation or whatever?

Sweden is doing exactly that. 3x more deaths than Norway or Finland (still "only" 1500).

They are being upfront about it, we'll lose more now, but hoping to avoid second and third spike.

Public opinion seems to split 80/20 in favor, but scientists in the country are more 50/50.

I guess we will see, but probably not definitively for a year or two.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
1 ... 41424344454647 ... 63