Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Coronavirus

MC2 5678F589
MC2 5678F589 wrote
My biggest fear is that:
1. The disease is far more widespread than previously thought
2. You can get it over and over again

Sadly, I have seen nothing to definitively say that either thing is false.

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/have-fatality-numbers-from-new-york-already-debunked-the-santa-clara-serology-study
https://mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKCN2270FB

"There is currently no evidence that people who have recovered from COVID-19 and have antibodies are protected from a second infection," it said....

Most studies have shown that people who have recovered from infection have antibodies to the virus, the WHO said. However, some of them have very low levels of neutralizing antibodies in their blood, "suggesting that cellular immunity may also be critical for recovery", it added
Reply | Threaded
|

pro2860
Don't break your patting yourself on the back'
Reply | Threaded
|

Face4Me
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
campgottagopee wrote
raisingarizona wrote
I totally get the protesters frustrations but I don’t think they are asking the right questions or protesting what they should be.
Same here. I see them on the news and my knee jerk is yes!! I want to go back to work, fuck this let's go. We still only have 32 cases in our county what are we waiting for. Then I think well it's not about me or just the county I live in.
This exactly!!! Thanks for putting it in FAR FEWER words than I could ever have done!!!

Also, why is it that those who are frustrated with these "lockdown" measures always seem to think that those who are willing to follow these restrictions are "cowering in a corner" or "under a table"? It's amazing to me how many "social media" posts I've seen that use these phrases. In reality, nothing could be farther from the truth.
I've met "Camp", and as others have indicated ... I'm guessing he doesn't "cower" for anything!

Finally, I do think that restrictions in areas north of Orange, Rockland and Westchester counties in New York probably should be relaxed in some manner at this point. The problem is, HOW do you do that and at the same time MINIMIZE the risk of reintroducing the virus into these areas? I hope someone has a good idea for this.

Unless of course, you don't give a shit about that because you don't think it's going to affect you.
It's easy to be against something ... It's hard to be for something!
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
I agree that following the public health guidance from the CDC is not a sign of weakness.

I am doing ok with the isolation.  It would be way easier for me personally if we had a true house (with kitchen) in the mountains.  The last few years, since our trails were built, I hardly go off our property when I'm not riding lifts.

I have found that calling old friends is very cool.  My two best buddies from high school, I don't talk to them much normally but they have been great to connect with.

I think the more urban you are the more confined you are and harder it is.  I'm hearing that in NYC people are starting to come out into the streets more.

I don't think anyone KNOWS what the right mix is.  This Georgia thing is necessary I think.  If nothing happens, no spike, we'll push the limit farther.  I there is a big spike, we'll adjust to that too.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
campgottagopee wrote
raisingarizona wrote

I totally get the protesters frustrations but I don’t think they are asking the right questions or protesting what they should be.
Same here. I see them on the news and my knee jerk is yes!! I want to go back to work, fuck this let's go. We still only have 32 cases in our county what are we waiting for. Then I think well it's not about me or just the county I live in. After all NYC pays for our roads n shit 😏
Yeah, I gotta remind myself about the big picture here and the possible consequences if we hadn’t had any restrictions.

Maybe the protesters should be asking why there wasn’t a better safety net in place for the working people in case of a pandemic like this. I don’t really know but I would think that one of the wealthiest countries in the world should be able to successfully call a time out without hurting the middle class folks.

It would be nice if everyone felt reassured that they they could take this time off from work and bills and go back to work once this is over. Some strong leadership would probably go long way in that department, instead of you know, polarizing the crap out of everyone.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
Ok, NostraBeccaDamus?
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by raisingarizona
raisingarizona wrote
It would be nice if everyone felt reassured that they they could take this time off from work and bills and go back to work once this is over. Some strong leadership would probably go long way in that department, instead of you know, polarizing the crap out of everyone.
Agree with this. We have to focus on "humans vs. virus", not "upstate vs. downstate" or "citizens vs. 'illegals'" or "tourists vs. townies" or "red state vs. blue state" or "constrictors vs. liberators" or whatever other dumb "us vs. them" battle that the President is trying to distract us with so we don't focus on his utter failure.

I think a true leader would get up there and demand the following from Congress:
• Everyone in the country over the age of 18 will get $2000/month for the next 3 months
• Kids will get $500/month
• Minimum wages will go up to $18/hour. Everyone working tough jobs right now (or even not so tough jobs at Taco Bell) should make at least $37,000 a year
• Mortgage payments & Rent will be waived for those 3 months with no balloon payments needed at the end of that period
• Medicare age temporarily lowered to 0 for 3 months. Anyone can go to the doctor and the doctor will be reimbursed by the government at Medicare rates.

That list reads a bit like a MC "wish list", but if we truly believe that this virus is nobody's fault, it seems ridiculous that we should have to suffer job loss, poverty, enormous food bank lines, crushing medical bills, or dangerous work without being compensated. If this is a pause, give us the tools and ability to actually do a full pause. It seems cruel to make the most vulnerable parts of the population suffer the most because of this illness. Especially when some have done very well in the last couple of weeks:

I have also done well. I'm still working. Market is up 25% from its lows. Most of us on this forum have probably made more in our 401ks from that point. than we would have if we were working on the front lines. That's... shitty.

As for the other thing: I'm not happy to report that my biggest fear about the virus appears to be true... I'm just updating in case others were concerned like me. It's not an "I told you so", it's a "my fear seems like it was well founded and we should probably pay attention to that"

Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Ugh, I'm exasperated.

I'm going to redirect.  We're actually happy if it seems that the virus is more widely spread than we thought, right? Not far enough so that we can relax, not herd immunity levels, but 10-15% is still better than 2% or whatever we are looking at. It does mean it is pretty contagious, but not insanely so.

I also think the key is to set a realistic target date for a vaccine. Not super optimistic or pessimistic. Then come up with a plan make it until then that allows maximum economic activity, supports everyone to some extent, while keeping it under control.

The rub will be defining "some extent" and "under control."
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Harvey wrote
We're actually happy if it seems that the virus is more widely spread than we thought, right? Not far enough so that we can relax, not herd immunity levels, but 10-15% is still better than 2% or whatever we are looking at. It does mean it is pretty contagious, but not insanely so.
If it is:
a. Extremely contagious
b. More widely spread than thought

then we'd reach herd immunity faster UNLESS you can get it over & over again, which is why I keep saying I'm nervous about that.
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
Yeah me too. My wife now has these rashes from the virus. It's actually painful. At the same time my son and I got poison ivy last week. Like things can't get more complicated.
I don't rip, I bomb.
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
MC, how’s your grandmother doing?  You’ve been quiet (as has the been the forum in general), and I hope all is well.  

I thought about digging into this post a little (there’s a lot to unpack), but I  figured doing that might create more noise than entertainment value for me/you/the forum.  

Looks like we are back to being optimistic about remdesivir again?
Reply | Threaded
|

tirolski
In reply to this post by Johnnyonthespot
Johnny
Johnnyonthespot wrote
Yeah me too. My wife now has these rashes from the virus. It's actually painful. At the same time my son and I got poison ivy last week. Like things can't get more complicated.
Try hottest water you can stand. It'll relive itch and is non-toxic. First job at school was working on a "vaccine" for poison ivy. Getting it shows your immune system is "working" and you've become "sensitized" to the urushiol antigen.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Did you stock up on bleach?  You can drink it for coronavirus AND pour it all over your poison ivy!

This message is Trump approved!  

Not a doctor, didn’t stay at a Holiday Inn last night.

A couple of college summers my wife and I worked landscaping.  I got to walk behind a Scag most of the time, my wife got to weed beds.  She’d get poison ivy so bad she’d have to be on Prednisone.  That might be when she developed her scolding shower syndrome.  Seriously, I get in a shower that she adjusted for temp and it’s painful.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
When I get the ivy..I need to go on Prednisone..not pleasant
these might help

"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by JTG4eva!
Maybe these kids eating tide pods were on to something 🤦
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Exactly!!
Reply | Threaded
|

bumps
The pic of the "Stupid Trump" girl is hysterical.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Wasn’t trying to be political, hope nobody is upset!
1 ... 45464748495051 ... 63