classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
1254 messages Options
1 ... 46474849505152 ... 63
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Coronavirus

Brownski
Probably good news. Also shows how much is still unknown or not fully known yet.
https://nypost.com/2020/04/30/dead-coronavirus-particles-may-cause-positive-test-results/
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

bumps
This NY Times article describes the upstate/downstate political and cultural split we see on this forum pretty well.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/01/nyregion/coronavirus-shutdown-upstate-ny.html
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Only 32 cases in our county. 1 new case in the last 12 days. To say the very least I'm ready to get shit going again. Come May 15th if we aren't opened back up I'll lose my shit.

So, it would seem, it really is about NYC. Those of you with 2 homes may benefit from the best of both worlds. The rest of us just want our little piece of our world back.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Personally I think it has to come soon. Some kind of upstate opening with travel restrictions would make sense to me.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
campgottagopee wrote
. The rest of us just want our little piece of our world back.
What does this mean to you?

Are you saying full "back to normal"? Or are you saying: everything open, but restrictions (no gatherings, mandatory social distance + masks if you can't get 6 ft., etc.)?
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
MC2 5678F589 wrote
campgottagopee wrote
I want to go back to work. I want to go out for drinks and dinner with my wife and friends. Sit around a campfire with friends. I wouldn't ever have to drive more than 8 miles to do any of that. That's what I mean.
Obviously we will follow any and all social distancing regulations.
Time will tell.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
campgottagopee wrote
MC2 5678F589 wrote
campgottagopee wrote
I want to go back to work. I want to go out for drinks and dinner with my wife and friends. Sit around a campfire with friends. I wouldn't ever have to drive more than 8 miles to do any of that. That's what I mean.
Obviously we will follow any and all social distancing regulations.
Time will tell.
Nothing is stopping you from inviting people over for a campfire. Are the cops going to come onto your property because they saw 6 people together or because a couple of people got within 5 ft. of each other? I think the ban on "non-essential" gatherings & travel isn't gonna last very much longer (is it still in effect?). I have played golf like 6 times now. That doesn't seem very essential, but the courses are open.

If they do open up bars & restaurants, but keep the mask requirement, are you going to go out? That would kinda kill the experience for me. I'd rather order food at home and have people over.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
I think golf is a go because it's one of the easier recreations to manage.

I also think, by definition, masks required in public means no sit down restaurant service.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Harvey wrote
I think golf is a go because it's one of the easier recreations to manage.
I guess my real point is that there aren't cops patrolling people's private houses. You can have a campfire. You can do a lot of things: take an Uber, go on a plane, order take out, play golf, shop at Home Depot, go mountain biking, etc. Some dude in my golf league said he hired a massage person to come to his house and give him & his wife a massage.

You can even sell cars (places around me seem to be doing it).

You just can't congregate in groups (school, movies, concerts, etc.) or do a bunch of closeup stuff (haircutting, makeup, etc.).

It's honestly not that much different out there. The traffic even seems to be picking up to near pre-COVID levels.

You can live a basically "normal" life right now, as long as you're okay with wearing a mask every once in a while.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
When I drove up the Thruway two weeks ago, with my outa state plates, nobody said boo to me. Roads were empty.

Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Harvey wrote
When I drove up the Thruway two weeks ago, with my outa state plates, nobody said boo to me. Roads were empty.

Two weeks ago is not today, Harv
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
I get it. That was precisely why I specified the timeframe.  

I was trying to say that whatever cops I saw clearly saw me, traveling far and they saw my plates, and nobody cared.

I was in the park and ride in Kingston and it was absolutely jamming.  Way busier than here. Seemed like a normal day.

Your whole perception of this thing is colored by where you are and how those around you are responding.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
MC2 5678F589 wrote
You can live a basically "normal" life right now, as long as you're okay with wearing a mask every once in a while.
Our lives must be really different
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
campgottagopee wrote
MC2 5678F589 wrote
Our lives must be really different
I hear you, camp.  That’s a crazy statement MC made right there.  Not surprising, though.  I’m not sure if he actually believes it, or if he’s just up to his usual tricks looking to argue, but it’s disturbing, really, no matter how you slice it.  Even though I believe, for a variety of reasons, HIS life might not be all that different right now, it’s scary to think he’s that disconnected that he thinks the same is, or should be, the same for everyone.  Just as odd and disturbing would be him just saying that for argument’s sake.  I mean, who does that?

One thing is for sure, his statement is indicative of the attitude and behavior that will greatly contribute to any second wave we have, if we have any at all.  It baffles me how MC, at the same time, can criticize people for saying we need to think about moving past social distancing and reopen the economy AND say that people can/should live a basically normal life right now.  I mean, talk about your cognitive dissonance.

I could say more, because life for us and those around us is nowhere near normal, and couldn’t be even if we personally, selfishly, decided to ignore guidelines and closures.....but I’m pretty sure MC is making statements like he did just to argue, and who wants to talk to that?  

We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
JTG4eva! wrote
.  It baffles me how MC, at the same time, can criticize people for saying we need to think about moving past social distancing and reopen the economy AND say that people can/should live a basically normal life right now.
You wouldn't be baffled if you read what I wrote instead of just inserting your own words. Where did I say we "need" to think about "moving past social distancing and reopen the economy". That's shit that you & camp have been saying.

And where did I say that people "should" live a "basically normal life right now". Because you suck at arguing, you're forced to invent straw men to argue with. Be better, Jump Turn Guy.

Anyway, good news. Looks like some evidence that you can't get it multiple times:
https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-scientists-conclude-people-cannot-be-infected-twice-11981721
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Did what MC just said make any sense at all to anybody, because I’m at a loss to make any?

Be better....at reading comprehension MC!  I said you criticize people (like me, camp, and others) who say we need to move past social distancing and reopen the economy.....not that you say such things.  But at the same time, you literally told camp people could live a basically normal life right now, just like you do.  I suppose you are telling camp that he could, but he shouldn’t?  You make so sense whatsoever, but you be you....¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
I'm sorry, I'm not following at all anymore.

I don't understand how me criticizing your "Save the precious economy!" takes has anything to do with me saying that you can feel free to do normal ass shit *right now* (going hiking, getting groceries, going to Home Depot, flying in a plane) because all of those options are open to you.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Somehow it makes sense to you to say we should maintain social distance and not open up the economy (until September, when they are targeting for a vaccine), yet live a basically normal life.  Maybe you can do that, what with flouting social distancing recommendations and working your side hustles, but most people can’t have it both ways, like you.  Thank God for that.  Doesn’t matter how many times you smugly saying “all those options are open to you ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ”, the reality is that, even though some things may be “open” to people, they really aren’t, not in any basically normal sense.  You really are that clueless and disconnected.  Wow.  

***shudders***

Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
JTG4eva! wrote
, the reality is that, even though some things may be “open” to people, they really aren’t, not in any basically normal sense.
No, the "reality" is that if I want to call an Uber, go to the airport, get on a plane and fly to California, I can do that. Then I can get out, rent a car, drive wherever I want to go, and get a hotel room.

Like, you can do these things. That's the "reality"
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
The entire "Reopen the economy" argument is stupid.

What does that even mean? What is closed now that you guys are missing? Haircut places? Gyms? Eat in Restaurants?

Yeah, it'd be nice to go to a bar or a sporting event, but you recognize those things have to wait for either super large scale testing or a vaccine, right?

1 ... 46474849505152 ... 63