Administrator

Classic donut hole
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Gore Conditions

PeeTex
The ground hasn’t frozen yet and it will be above freezing and some sun - could disappear real quick.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

BRLKED
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
Raymond Brook was skied Friday, enough coverage but very heavy.
Reply | Threaded
|

Capdistski
In reply to this post by Harvey
Whatever happened to Pine Knot?  Uncas needed a serious haircut today, but it was still great to be out, headwaters was great, and hats off to Gore for opening.  Looking forward to more next weekend!
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Reply | Threaded
|

gefiltephish
Worth 3 hrs more driving tomorrow vs skiing catskills (ie bellayre?) Seems like way more terrain is open at gore...
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Most of what was open today was dicey. I had a blast, but if its not your thing...

At this point, not sure what will be open tomorrow.

Also in my post above "off the table" was a poor choice of words.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Harvey wrote
Most of what was open today was dicey. I had a blast, but if its not your thing...

At this point, not sure what will be open tomorrow.

Also in my post above "off the table" was a poor choice of words.
Sounds like you had fun.
Reply | Threaded
|

MikePom
Tipping my hat to everyone that made it out for opening day (or opening weekend).  From my experience, these conditions can be a challenge, especially since you're just getting your snow legs back for the first time.

What a great opportunity for Gore, to open with so much natural cover.  If Global Warming plays nice (not sure if it's Mother Nature anymore) maybe we will get one of those good old north country winters!

If anyone is on the mountain today, send some pics!
Reply | Threaded
|

Milo Maltbie
At about 11AM a patroller told us they were boot packing Topridge before they opened it, then they were going to boot pack Straightbrook. We bailed out around 1130 before Showcase got too thin. I don't know if any of that ever opened. There wasn't any evidence that all the new snowmaking they've been touting all summer is actually operational, so all the recent and forecast cold weather was just a lost opportunity.

In other news, it doesn't look like the Tannery bar will be open before Christmas.  Maybe not this year at all. No $8 beers for you!

I'm happy to be skiing, but it makes you wonder when ORDA will get its shit together.

mm
"Everywhere I turn, here I am." Susan Tedeschi
Reply | Threaded
|

sudsnbumps
It Opened and if you look at Shaman's FB page you would think it was powder.   It was fun, wet, heavy and deep.  I will be in pain all week.  I need my March muscles.  With the Lactic acid talking, I think I enjoyed Hawkeye, once it was skied in, the best.  Best Pow that was handleable was Open Pit.  Trail that most killed my legs, Uncas yesterday.  I heard really good things about Mineshaft but never made it.  
Proud to call Gore My Home Mountain
Covid stole what would have been my longest season ever!
I'll be back
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
In reply to this post by Milo Maltbie
Milo Maltbie wrote
There wasn't any evidence that all the new snowmaking they've been touting all summer is actually operational, so all the recent and forecast cold weather was just a lost opportunity.

Word on the street is that the project is a cluster fuck
Reply | Threaded
|

Hoser
The bar or snowmaking or both and beyond.  Details!    And from what I am hearing on condition of uncas well yikes
Reply | Threaded
|

Kleetus
In reply to this post by PeeTex
Looks like I made a bad call on this weekend and not heading up. Really didn't think the coverage would be there but sounds like it was. I'll get it at least one day next weekend.

Was curious about the snowmaking. With the supposed big boost in capacity I would have thought they would have been able to blow on more than they had by now. But alas, sounds like my suspicions were confirmed and something is up with the project.

Real tell I guess will be what they have open for next weekend. Prime snowmaking window coming up, especially Thursday. If all they can get done is Lower Sleighride, Wild Air, and Foxlair by next weekend, I would say those upgrades have done zilch as that's what they were able to open up last year by this point with 40% less supposed new capacity.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
I'll see if I can get the facts on all that. Hoping to post on the front page tomorrow.

Sorry we missed you Kleetus.  Gore was marginal and awesome too.  The summit all natural!
Reply | Threaded
|

Milo Maltbie
It looks like I dropped the ball by leaving early, but I have a foot injury and talking to that patroller didn't give me any confidence that the upper mountain would ever open.

mm
"Everywhere I turn, here I am." Susan Tedeschi
Reply | Threaded
|

SIAWOL
Upper mountain did ski pretty well Saturday. Many props to the folks working to get it open. Let's face it, yes there was a decent amount of fresh snow....but there was also no base built up so there was lots of potential of nastiness underneath what "looked" good. Plus with the early opening it just takes longer to sweep and evaluate those trails for readiness---simple things that we take for granted later in the year like having the pads on all the poles, lollipops in place, ropes up on secondary trails that need to stay closed, etc. All that takes time and we should all have appreciation for the work required to help ensure we have a safe outing.

For the most part, people were understanding and chose to ski appropriately. But man were there some knuckleheads that just have to complain about everything and anything---this trail should be open, the Saddle should be serving food, why isn't Dark Side open, etc, etc, etc.

I was lucky to be part of the impromptu--"official"--uncas work crew....sure beat lapping Ruby-Showcase, and gave some appreciation for what it takes.
Reply | Threaded
|

Darkside Shaman
In reply to this post by sudsnbumps
sudsnbumps wrote
It Opened and if you look at Shaman's FB page you would think it was powder.   It was fun, wet, heavy and deep.  I will be in pain all week.  I need my March muscles.  With the Lactic acid talking, I think I enjoyed Hawkeye, once it was skied in, the best.  Best Pow that was handleable was Open Pit.  Trail that most killed my legs, Uncas yesterday.  I heard really good things about Mineshaft but never made it.
LOL It was dry powder on Sunday up top, that pic was from Upper Newts, and the snow was dry and light. Just goes to show that good things come to those that wait
Gotta go to know
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Nice Shaman. Our woods were primo too.

Website saying Tannery Pub Friday?  This doesn't affect me but I am surprised.

I had my first Natty Lite in the parking lot.

Any snow coming down?
1 ... 3456789 ... 34