669 messages Options
1 ... 6789101112 ... 34
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Gore Conditions

MikePom
Why did Gore take down the web cam?  

Great resource to inspire and motivate skiers to head to the mountain.

Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
I'm told the cam is down for because of the bar renovation.

In other news Gore the snow report was update this morning at 6:15 am.  If a new policy and not a one off this could be BIG. IMO.

1" at closing last night and another 4 over night. I'm pretty sure it wasn't all frozen.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

MikePom
Too easy to just move the cam. We do it all the time on our hospital projects.  

Early snow report good idea.  IF it’s accurate.  

Cam would tell no lies.  

Summit cam would be a nice addition also.  I’m sure the summit got frosty last night.
Reply | Threaded
|

Darkside Shaman
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
I'm told the cam is down for because of the bar renovation.

In other news Gore the snow report was updated this morning at 6:15 am.  If a new policy and not a one off this could be BIG. IMO.

1" at closing last night and another 4 over night. I'm pretty sure it wasn't all frozen.
If that's what the report said, then it was absolutely not done at 6:15 as there was easily 10-12" Over a foot here at Shaman HQ and I had to give my neighbor who works at Gore a ride this morning at 7am and there was the same amount there as here so Aunty Em is gonna have to up her game
Gotta go to know
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .

Thanks DS, I happily stand corrected.

That was when I looked really. So it was done last night, after I looked around 9pm I guess.
Reply | Threaded
|

MikePom
Thus the need for a Web Cam is validated.  

Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by Darkside Shaman
Darkside Shaman wrote
 Over a foot here at Shaman HQ and I had to give my neighbor who works at Gore a ride this morning at 7am and there was the same amount there as here
Nice.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Gore now calling it 1" yesterday and 14" overnight.
Reply | Threaded
|

NorEaster27
from 5 inches to 14 inches in an hour, i assume that is on the summit.  Would be nice if they made the differences clearer.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
No I think what happened was the 5 inches was put up sometime last night.
Reply | Threaded
|

NorEaster27
14 inches, still a few more inches to go.  This maybe biggest November storm in many many many years?
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator

Photo courtesy TMac
Reply | Threaded
|

MikePom
Gore is looking quite epic....this will be an interesting turn, to see how all this pans out this season.
Reply | Threaded
|

TheGreatAbyss
What are people's thoughts for the weekend?   Will the upper mountain be open?  Saturday night forecast looks a bit scary.   Id really love to get first days in November, but if the mountain is going to be ice on Sunday it's not worth the trip
Reply | Threaded
|

Kleetus
I would imagine should be great at least before Sunday. Was great last weekend on the upper mountain. Sure it rained since then, but it also snowed 14" since then too.

I'm bummed because it's looking like I have to help shovel out the driveway to our place in Old Forge on Saturday and going to miss out. Water isn't on yet and neighbor claims there is too much snow to plow it. I find that suspect since the snow stake in Inlet is only showing 15" but the snow was pretty dense. So Sunday is the only day I can ski this weekend and with the forecast not looking good.

Trying to negotiate helping shovel out in the early morning Saturday and then getting the afternoon in at Gore but not going well. I find it hard to believe it will take 8 hours to shovel and snow blow a hundred feet of parking area behind the house and the deck, but have yet to be able to convince my family members otherwise. We then have to go up next Saturday to finish winterizing, which will potentially sacrifice yet another ski day.
Reply | Threaded
|

TheGreatAbyss
Oh man, nothing fun about shoveling.  My parents made me do it as a kid and looking back now if I ever have a driveway again I'm just going to rely on AWD and winter tires and never shovel it.

Anyway, looking at the weather I think I'm going to miss out on another weekend  .   Sunday is just looking too questionable to justify 8 to 9 hours of driving.    Maybe I'll do a day trip and hit up one of the Catskill mountains for the first time in probably 8 years on Saturday just to scratch the itch.  Hunter seems like they may have a few diamonds open and I can't imagine Jersey Shore Tony is heading up this early in the season.

Hopefully well meet up in Gore soon Kleetus!
Reply | Threaded
|

Kleetus
After some prolonged negotiations, I managed to convince others that I should go up tomorrow night after work and get started on the dig out process and have permission to turn on the heat in our place to crash in Old Forge. If it just so happens I get it all done (which I will), should be able to get at least the afternoon in at Gore if not more Saturday
frk
Reply | Threaded
|

frk
Skied today. High peaks was closed. Hawkeyes and upper steilhang were the only natural trails open along with uncas. Blowing snow on headwaters so it was crappy. Chati closed too due to snowmaking. I was hoping to get more skiing on natural snow up top but no more. I wish they had started on lies and left chati alone a bit longer. Very windy. Got stuck on top ridge chair for about a half hour in mid morning. Someone had to finally climb a tower to replace a sensor that had been damaged by an ice fall. Glad I wasn't stuck near the end in the wind tunnel. Off piste snow weird composite of wind blown, snow making crud, and days old refreeze. Sometimes it was good, other times a bit scary.
Reply | Threaded
|

MikePom
I would anticipate variable conditions from now through the end of the year.

Monitoring weather, possibility of another storm on horizon.

Is it possible that it could get even more interesting?
Reply | Threaded
|

Hoser
Pulled into close parking at 7:40 Saturday and ready to roll when the Gondi started spinning at 8:40.   Lots of cars later but not lots of people.  

3 or 4 excellent runs off Gondi and AE2 wild air the best although showcase very well covered too.   QS not bad except rocks at chocolate corner.   At rope when dropped on lower sunway which was ok.  All natural and groomed so stiff.  Wild Air still run of day.  Until...

Rest of ski party lapped Chati and said so fun.  I had to lap Headwaters due to injury recovery.  Heard Hawk headwall rock and dirt.    Bottom half looked great.    

Dark side opened mid morning.  Didn’t hit it due to reason above but - avoided uncas which I heard was a S Show plus guns sticky snow and debris.   Not Including the people.   Fortunately accessed top via Wood In.   From the DS double you could see so much snow.   Runs looked fantastic but could not play.    Next time.  

Anyway a great day.  New bar looks great.  New bathrooms there are great.  

Skied like Feb.   if they keep blowing and MaNa behaves we are being rewarded for the last four years of challenges
1 ... 6789101112 ... 34