1 ... 19202122232425 ... 28
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Greek Peak Conditions

campgottagopee
This post was updated on .
billyymc wrote
But not opening very skiable trails - that's just plan BS and bad for customer satisfaction. It takes almost no effort to drop a rope. We aren't talking a massive mountain that takes a couple hours to sweep at the end of the day.
I agree because of the example you gave about skiing with your kids. Not having kids myself I kind of lose track of what lesson is being taught by ducking ropes. For me and the crew I ski with it doesn't matter, but I get your point loud and clear.

billyymc wrote
So Camp - no inside scoop on Chair 2? hasn't run in weeks - is it broken, or did they just stop running it to save cost?
I haven't heard nor asked. My guess is there simply wasn't enough skier traffic lately to run that chair....again, simply a guess. The thing is like 500 years old so maybe they had problems with it too . I know there were plenty of times I wish it would've been running so we could hit the top of Ronnies. Other than that skiers could get to those trials via the quad or chair 4 only missing the flat part right off of 2.

Reply | Threaded
|

Big D
Skied Greek all day Sat. 4/11. Not many people there. They groomed Mars Hill, then decided not to open lift 5 due to not enough skiers. Was finishing up lunch at 1 pm when the Ambassador girl Br. told me they just decided not to open next weekend. (Ambassador girl said she lives on a farm and loves driving the tractors). Bought my $414.96 pass for next year. (noticed songs pass is 424.) Would have really liked to be there Sun. but Cornhead and I went to Hunter for their last day. GREAT SEASON AT GREEK.

Seems as though Song might open Sat. and also little Royal Mountain which I think is north of Cooperstown.
Reply | Threaded
|

billyymc
Big D wrote
Bought my $414.96 pass for next year. (noticed songs pass is 424.)
Big D - I think you misread that. If you buy by April 30 Song/Lab combined is $350 for one pass.

But for our family of 4, Song/Lab is $980 by April 30. Whereas Greek is about $1,630 ($399 first pass, $389 each for the next 3, plus the 4% fee/price increase).

That's a big difference for us.  Greek took away the graduated discount for additional passes, making it less attractive for families.

Plus with a Song/Lab season pass we each get two lift tickets at Okemo, and a "buddy" pass to Song to bring a friend.

We will miss GP, but we'll ski it a couple times next season I'm sure.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
I know the new owners brought consultants in for the snowmaking system (Sno Engineering, I think), but I wish they would have done so for the balance of the ski area in order to develop a master plan. It made no sense to install a fixed quad where they did--especially when they don't run lift 1.  Everyone wishing to ski the Olympian, Odyssey, or Iliad need to hike uphill to get there. A quad would have been better placed where chair 1 is located. I realize they were simply following the Kryger's plan, but the lift was a complete waste IMO. It runs so freakin slow, and not just because it's a fixed quad, but because of the lack of loading procedures/training of staff.
Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
Rj1972 wrote
Everyone wishing to ski the Olympian, Odyssey, or Iliad need to hike uphill to get there. A quad would have been better placed where chair 1 is located. I realize they were simply following the Kryger's plan, but the lift was a complete waste IMO. It runs so freakin slow, and not just because it's a fixed quad, but because of the lack of loading procedures/training of staff.
I guess you've never been up to gore, eh?  I don't think the skate over to those is too bad and probably just enough of a PITA to keep out those who don't belong anyway - I'd keep it where it is. I'd love to know the real skinny on the speed thing, my guess is it's more of an engineering/construction snafu than any staff issues. offloading seems to be more of an issue than loading
Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
Haven't been to Gore in ages, Gorgonzola. I purchase GP and Killington season passes annually, and then usually take a few treks out west. I've hit most of the areas in the East, but haven't been to some of them in years, including Gore.

Given the new lift installation at GP, and the fact that they actually used Doppelmayr to engineer the installation, one would have thought that the unloading challenges might have been remedied. In terms of the loading of the lift, the conveyor is playing havoc with the beginners and those with ADHD. They also are not grading the loading ramp properly with respect to the angle necessary to load the conveyor. I appreciate the fact that the owners installed 1A, but I what one pays is generally what one gets. A high speed quad crawls along so that beginners can load it. That is what they needed in an area that serves so many different ability levels.

Even with the speed variance that GP received from the state this year, along with the required adjustments made by Doppelmayr this year to increase the speed, the faster speed played even greater havoc with the beginners. If you recall, before the green trails were cut off of chair 1 and 1A, there were only expert and intermediate trails off of those lifts. In addition, Chair 2 used to run from the base and catered to beginners. Both areas were reconfigured for whatever reason.
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
What is the complaint about Gore lifts . The Gondi , the new Adirondack Express triple , Burnt Ridge Quads , Topridge quad straightbrook chair all run smoothly and i have never had to wait on any except the Gondi and frankly compared to several places i ve been the Gondi wait was Not bad at all even during a PREZ week .

The North triple runs a bit slow but its not terrible , the High peaks double is  ok for what it serves too

So i. Guess that i am in the dark as to the problem ......I think Gore is the schizzz when it comes to moving people ... . The only downside ro Gore is the traverse on Cloud other than that its the Cats Ass !!! My fav venue .
Life ain't a dress rehearsal: Spread enthusiasm , avoid negative nuts.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
warp daddy wrote
What is the complaint about Gore lifts . The Gondi , the new Adirondack Express quad , Burnt Ridge Express Quad , Topridge Triple and straightbrook Quad all run smoothly and i have never had to wait on any except the Gondi and frankly compared to several places i ve been the Gondi wait was Not bad at all even during a PREZ week .

The North Quad runs excruciatingly slow and slows stops and starts constantly and should be upgraded to high speed, but they say they have no plans to which sucks.  Guess I will be avoiding that terrain for a while yet. , the High peaks double has ok capacity for what it serves, but is old and having problems and should be replaced before it falls apart and kills someone.

So i. Guess that i am in the dark as to the problem ......I think Gore is the schizzz when it comes to moving people ... . The only downside ro Gore is the traverse on Cloud other than that its the Cats Ass !!! My fav venue .
I corrected some stuff for you.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
Son , i feel i am sufficiently efucated and have enough experience to speak for myself . If and when i ever want or need someone to speak for me i will ask !

Your opinion i( to which you are entitled) ,is yours NOT mine .
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
Damn ipad auto correct  gremlin is at work hahahaha
Reply | Threaded
|

billyymc
In reply to this post by snoloco
snoloco wrote
The North Quad runs excruciatingly slow and slows stops and starts constantly and should be upgraded to high speed, but they say they have no plans to which sucks.  Guess I will be avoiding that terrain for a while yet.
If you ever go to Utah you will want to avoid Powder Mountain completely.

Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
ha warp - I thought efucated was a new warp-bonics term and quite appropriate!

I don't  have any issue with any of the gore lifts, was just pointing out that the slightly uphill skate at greek was minimal in comparison to the one around the old lift building at gore.
hell if had an aversion to old and slow lifts I woudnt be at gp in the first place. these days my busted up bones like the rest, the conversation, and maybe even a sip 'o the maple whiskey now and then

unfortunately I don't think gp has the vert to justify the $ a high speed detachable lift, especially at 1/1A. possibly 2 would be long enough to gain a bit of uphill capacity but I still don't think the demand is there

Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by gorgonzola
gorgonzola wrote

I guess you've never been up to gore, eh?  I don't think the skate over to those is too bad and probably just enough of a PITA to keep out those who don't belong anyway - I'd keep it where it is. I'd love to know the real skinny on the speed thing, my guess is it's more of an engineering/construction snafu than any staff issues. offloading seems to be more of an issue than loading
I don't feel it's bad either. Unless I'm gonna hit the Big O I take the low road anyway as it dumps you right were you wanna be.

Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
In reply to this post by billyymc
Sorry for thread drift here (maybe break this out to a new thread starting a few posts back)...

Sno, I can understand Gore not wanting to make the mulit-million investment in a HSQ for the North pod, but would it be feasible to upgrade the current lift to run at a higher speed with conveyor loading, similar to what was done at Greek Peak?  I wonder what the cost would be to do that?

Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
gorgonzola wrote

unfortunately I don't think gp has the vert to justify the $ a high speed detachable lift, especially at 1/1A. possibly 2 would be long enough to gain a bit of uphill capacity but I still don't think the demand is there
This

gorgonzola wrote
  these days my busted up bones like the rest, the conversation, and maybe even a sip 'o the maple whiskey now and then

And this ^^
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
Gorgo : I laffed my ass off re your comment , dayum if only i HAD thought of it . Hahaha......

you are Absolutely right about the skate around the old lift house up top a modest PIA

BTW GOODLUCK on   The Knee job ...... U ll be good as new . Most of my regular ski posse is bionic , we got more new parts than a new car , knees, hips , bypasses hell we got em all and they work just fine

Rehab well my friend

Warp
Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
will do, thanks warp
Reply | Threaded
|

freeheeln
In reply to this post by warp daddy
warp daddy wrote
Son , i feel i am sufficiently efucated and have enough experience to speak for myself . If and when i ever want or need someone to speak for me i will ask !

Your opinion i( to which you are entitled) ,is yours NOT mine .
Tele turns are optional not mandatory.
Reply | Threaded
|

pro2860
gorgonzola wrote
Rj1972 wrote
Everyone wishing to ski the Olympian, Odyssey, or Iliad need to hike uphill to get there. A quad would have been better placed where chair 1 is located. I realize they were simply following the Kryger's plan, but the lift was a complete waste IMO. It runs so freakin slow, and not just because it's a fixed quad, but because of the lack of loading procedures/training of staff.
They are waaay to quick to shut the lift down at both the top and the bottom! They slow it down every time a kid loads whether it's needed or not. At the top we have spent a considerable amount of time during the season waiting for friends on the lift and have noticed the majority of the stops happen when an inexperienced snowboarder falls after offloading and they shut it down immediately! Quite often, especially with kids, they pop right back up and are out of the way before the next chair arrives but it has already been shut down.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
pro2860 wrote
They are waaay to quick to shut the lift down at both the top and the bottom! They slow it down every time a kid loads whether it's needed or not. At the top we have spent a considerable amount of time during the season waiting for friends on the lift and have noticed the majority of the stops happen when an inexperienced snowboarder falls after offloading and they shut it down immediately! Quite often, especially with kids, they pop right back up and are out of the way before the next chair arrives but it has already been shut down.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It all comes down to training.  Unfortunately new employees are hired and are trained by the person they stand next to on the job who was never trained properly to begin with. This holds true for many departments at GP--not just the lifties. Think about how much money is blown into the trees each winter due to improper snowmaking procedures.

I am shocked that the owners haven't put training procedures in place. I don't believe that John would hire a new machinist for his job shop and place him on a CNC machine without training him. They'd destroy the machine or tool in seconds.
1 ... 19202122232425 ... 28