|

Re: Greek Peak Conditions

campgottagopee
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Rj1972
Wow!  That photo speaks volumes. Mother Nature was certainly kind.
Reply | Threaded
|

tirolski
Skied the Peak again today.
Met friends and had all the packed powder needed for great skiing.
Friend hit the pow stashes and we were all happy calling it a day around 2.
Wish Song-Lab would open as have a season pass there but $35 ticket at Greek due to M-F Gore pass made more than worthwhile. I do believe the 14" new is true.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
Do we have any idea why they stopped making snow this week? Temps were around 24 degrees for ten hours last night before heading up a bit.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
The rest of this week and the weekend should be dynamite skiing. We received treee" yesterday from a nice spray of LE and they're calling for the same today and tomorrow.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
They were pounding the hill last night

It's gonna be good today

Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
You getting hit with lake effect.  Tully got 5 yesterday and it looks like another 5 today.  Going to be a pow day at song mountain!!
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Yepper
Reply | Threaded
|

scrundy
They get rain today or wet snow? Was thinking of hitting it tomorrow night but with the temps dropping is it gonna be ice? Hard I’m sure but don’t really want to ski ice all night. Any thoughts?
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
All snow today, didn't rain at all.

Just started snowing again too.
Reply | Threaded
|

scrundy
Titties I’ll be around
Reply | Threaded
|

billyymc
Skied Greek today - on a free pass :)

The good - excellent conditions on Fields, Stoic, Christy, Iliad, and Olympian. Really excellent.

The bad - shitty shitty lift operation. The Quad had a barely manageable ramp to get up onto the loading area, and as usual NOBODY was working the line to keep things orderly. When it got crowded people were struggling to get up the farking ramp, sidestepping, not taking turns, all over each others skis, barely able to hold themselves in place while waiting. What a cluster fuck.

Some people were coming to meet me and I told them to forget it - the lift line was that screwed up. Eventually Lift 1 was opened but by then these folks had gone and done something else.

The sorta bad but not really when you think about it - the carpet loader looks like it's fragged for a while. Word on the snow is there are parts they need that they can't get. Doesn't one of the owners own a machine shop in Elmira?

Whatever. Had fun, but overall glad I decided not to get a season pass there this year.
Reply | Threaded
|

wonderpony
The chaos on the quad lift line did indeed suck, no doubt about it.  However, the lifties who were running the quad were super friendly, making sure that people got safely through the gates and up to the loading spot, where someone held the chair.  I am a fan of whoever worked today, that's for sure.  12/10

I managed to drop one of my poles while getting on the lift, and caught it in between my skis.  The guy next to me tried to retrieve it, but we failed.  It turned out out to be John Meier, one of the owners.  Super nice guy.  

I am glad tomorrow will be another good day.  On my 6thish run down Iliad, I couldn't see well, my boots were too lose so my feet slid, and I started back into an old habit that I thought I had gotten rid of.  I used to pick up my left ski in my turns, and have spent time undoing that habit.  Apparently, old habits die hard.  I took another run with tighter boots and did better, and called it good.  Today was my first day skiing Iliad, I stayed upright, most of my runs were good, and I have the rest of the season to keep that left ski on the ground.  :)

WP

Reply | Threaded
|

billyymc
wonderpony wrote
The chaos on the quad lift line did indeed suck, no doubt about it.  However, the lifties who were running the quad were super friendly, making sure that people got safely through the gates and up to the loading spot, where someone held the chair.  I am a fan of whoever worked today, that's for sure.  12/10
Agree completely. They just needed one more person.
Reply | Threaded
|

scrundy
Yeah went Saturday night, yard sales twice 😂
Once in lift line and once on lliad coming out of bumps. Both times catching a edge on recently tuned skies. I think the dullest of skis could of carved well, the kind of snow we’re your poles stick when you plant . Conditions were better then expected, hence the really sharp edges as I was thinking hard. Might rethink my pass next year as I like what Greek is doing. Only thing sucked is the snow blowing ice-in up goggles, so pretty much stayed to lliad the whole night. But not a bad thing either for blowing snow. With Elk cutting back night hours I’ll be at Greek more this year I’m sure.
Reply | Threaded
|

Cornhead
They definitely need someone organizing the loading process. Nothing gets you pissed like standing in line watching chairs go up with 2 or 3 people in them. I also witnessed the steep loading ramp cause issues. Usually young children struggling to get up. They need a buffer between the corral and the lift with a person making sure the chairs go up full, a dedicated singles line would sure help too.

I think they get lift one running too late. By the time it does start to load, it isn't  needed, or needed for long before the crowd starts thinning out. I rode it exclusively after lunch and skied right onto the chair every run.

Another issue I noticed after lunch were the stairs leading down from the deck. They were packed with snow and quite treacherous. How much effort would it take for someone to take a few minutes to shovel the snow off them?

Enough of the negatives, what a glorious day on the hill! The weather alternated between sunshine and LES squalls. Gone were the rock hard chunky groomers, not that I spent much time on the groomers. Why would you when there was a foot of lightly skied snow to be had on Olympian, skier's left of Illiad, and my preferred trail, skiers right of Fields. Another reason to eschew the groomers is they were blowing on all but Illiad. I appreciate the new "snow", but I hate skiing through operating guns, and the sticky snow they produce.
Top of IlliadOlympianOlympianFieldsFields

Looking forward to another great day tomorrow, er I'm mean later today.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
I couldn’t tell you the last time that I skied Greek Peak before Christmas, but decided on Friday to give Greek a shot rather than making the usual drive to Killington. They were blowing up a storm all day Saturday and Sunday, with over 80 guns going.

I took my rock skis, so that I could poach some trails off the beaten path, and was not disappointed. We’re not talking light fluffy powder by any means, but the untracked powder we skied was a nice change of pace.

Yes, John Meier was out skiing, as he is the last man standing in the Meier/Stemmerman duo.

In terms of lift 1A, yes, the loading ramp was a bit over the top, as there was not enough snow to create a flat surface. Given the surprising crowds, they should have opened lift 1 sooner.

Speaking of lift 1A, they did spend A bit under $10k this summer rebuilding the loading conveyor. We see how well that worked.

In addition, three of the lift operators called out sick this morning, which created some of the chaos at the bottom of the lift.

Overall, we had a nice weekend, and was really impressed with the snowmaking firepower. With Toby leaving, and Sean taking over, he really stepped up to the plate. Of course, mother nature also helped.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
We rode to Trax  Saturday for dinner then Sunday for  lunch. Both days Trax had a nice crowd as did the hill.

The riding is 100% right now. This little warm up will provide for a super base for when the trails open up. Right now we're riding all outlaw trails.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Major props to GP.
Hill is lit right up, including Zues and Trojan. They're going for it even with the weekends forecast. Gotta say haven't seen that aggressiveness is a long time.
Reply | Threaded
|

wonderpony
Good for them!  I hope that we are not going to lose everything!  It was such a nice start to the season!
1 ... 567891011 ... 53