1058 messages Options
1 ... 18192021222324 ... 53
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Greek Peak Conditions

Rj1972
Harvey wrote
I missed the jagged rocks, where are they?  I want to steer clear!
My understanding is that a groomer tilled up some rocks and dirt right in front of an unloading ramp, and the liftie did not address it.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
They were jagged rocks!!! Big nasty jagged ones!!! Not just any rocks.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by Rj1972
Rj1972 wrote
There is always room for improvement in any organization, including my own. However, one has to admit to that rather than wearing blinders.
Of course this is true.

When you make a blanket statement that people just get hired, show up, and then get trained by someone who isn't trained, I'll call foul. It's a false statement.
Reply | Threaded
|

wonderpony
In reply to this post by billyymc
I think that perhaps it is good that we have lots of emotion about GP.  It means that we care, either one way or the other.  If GP didn't exist, I probably wouldn't downhill and would go back to cross-country if and when we had snow.  The last time I did that, I fell going down a five-foot incline.  True story.  Without my edges and locked in heels, I was toast.

The other three CNY ski areas are a) farther and b) not where I would want to go.  It's been years since I went to Song, and was unimpressed.  A few years ago, I had to kill some time in Caz and went to Tog.  That was not a pleasant experience.  Nothing like "The Main" with racers zipping around newbies who were snowplowing their way down to scare the absolute crap out of me.

When I pull into the GP parking lot, it feels like home.  I smile, I anticipate how much fun it's going to be, and there is nothing better than arriving and looking up at the the freshly groomed hill.

Sure, I suck. Sure, I am old.  Sure, I ski slowly.  BUT, I get that, I challenge myself, I work to get better, and there are a lot of other passionate people out there doing the same thing.  GP is a gift, and I appreciate it.

WP aka Slow Old Lady with an Errant Left Ski
Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
campgottagopee wrote
Rj1972 wrote
There is always room for improvement in any organization, including my own. However, one has to admit to that rather than wearing blinders.
Of course this is true.

When you make a blanket statement that people just get hired, show up, and then get trained by someone who isn't trained, I'll call foul. It's a false statement.
What knowledgeable industry veteran is doing the training? I skied with a 2017-18 season pass hanging from my jacket for one and a quarter seasons, with my 2018-19 and 2019-20 passes back at the house.
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
In reply to this post by Harvey
No orda supporters ideology . If you don't have something nice to say don't say anything.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Cornhead

I guess incompetence has its up side.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
 That is too funny, Corn!
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Rj1972 wrote
campgottagopee wrote
That's simply not true
If it's not true, why such a mess? From a customer service standpoint, things have become worse over the past seven years--not better. The best thing that happened recently is that Kaitlyn and Jessica departed, and Drew was hired.
This is what you said. You said it's a mess and customer service has become worse over the past 7 years. I asked for an example of what you feel is a mess. You responded that you skied with the wrong pass on your jacket. Ok, fine. If that's your definition of a "mess" sobeit.

Lets just say we disagree on what constitutes a mess.

The pass police should've arrested you for theft of services.
Reply | Threaded
|

billyymc
In reply to this post by wonderpony
wonderpony wrote
When I pull into the GP parking lot, it feels like home.
Honestly it used to feel like that to me. IMO the vibe has changed / is changing there.

This year I passed up a GP pass. First time in about 28 years that I havent' had a pass to a local hill (mostly Greek, I think two seasons at Song/Lab). Instead I got an Ikon pass, which so far has gone unused - hasn't been worth driving up to Vermont yet IMO. I also picked up a bunch of cheap passes to Song, WF, Gore, and Snow Ridge...all unused so far as well.

I have six ski days this year. Three cross country, two at Greek (on at zero cost on someone's buddy pass, and one at half price on a Warren Miller voucher), and one backcountry day after the early season storm.

I'll get my money out of my Ikon pass -- I booked a two week trip to Big Sky and Jackson in March with my daughters (one week with each kid due to their spring break schedules). Then this week I very impulsively booked a week in Steamboat at the end of January. All places on my Ikon Pass.

Not sure what I'll do next year for a pass. I like having choices and variety, so will probably consider one of the multi-mountain products again. I suppose if Greek gave a season pass discount to Epic or Ikon holders I'd pick up a pass there as well.
Reply | Threaded
|

MogulMaster
Banned User
This post was updated on .
Greek now offers variety as they are a member of the freedom pass.  And they have been working to bring back other perks.  With the very noticeable snowmaking improvements this season, what a bad year to decide to back out of a pass.  I have to say with the improvements in snowmaking, it has kept me from traveling so far this season.  Why travel for less?   Just about every snowmaking trail is open now except Zues, Hercules and upper Castor.
Reply | Threaded
|

billyymc
MogulMaster wrote
With the very noticeable snowmaking improvements this season, what a bad year to decide to back out of a pass.  I have to say with the improvements in snowmaking, it has kept me from traveling so far this season.  Why travel for less?
Travel for less? You're funny. I'm planning 16 days of skiing at Steamboat, Big Sky, Bridger, Jackson Hole, and Targhee. I'll also get two days at WF, two at Gore, a few at Kmart/Pico, a few at Stratton, maybe a couple at Sugarbush. Which one of those is LESS than Greek?

I agree their snowmaking worked out great this year at Greek - good for them and their customers. I'll ski there a couple more times as cheaply as I can. And eventually the rest of central NY will have snow and I'll use my passes at Song, presumably at Snow Ridge, and will also get several days at Platty.

For me, I needed some variety this year. YMMV.
Reply | Threaded
|

MogulMaster
Banned User
Obviously I'm not comparing Greek to out west.  That's funny.  But, regionally Greek has more open terrain than most other places aside from mega resorts.  All I'm saying is it isn't worth the drive to most of the bigger places.  I would have been to Gore by now but, it's just not worth the drive when you compare percentage open.  

Congrats,  you plan to go out west.  Sounds like you haven't done much skiing yet.  Yet you want to brag about what you are going to do, not what you have done.  As for me I was able to get out 2 weeks before Thanksgiving without travelling.  I've been able to get out quite a bit because of Greek.  I'm not waiting for someone to get snow and telling everyone what I'm going to do.  So yes as of early season you have done less because you haven't gone to any of those places.  Get my point?
Reply | Threaded
|

MogulMaster
Banned User
billyymc wrote
wonderpony wrote
When I pull into the GP parking lot, it feels like home.
Honestly it used to feel like that to me. IMO the vibe has changed / is changing there.

This year I passed up a GP pass. First time in about 28 years that I havent' had a pass to a local hill (mostly Greek, I think two seasons at Song/Lab). Instead I got an Ikon pass, which so far has gone unused - hasn't been worth driving up to Vermont yet IMO. I also picked up a bunch of cheap passes to Song, WF, Gore, and Snow Ridge...all unused so far as well.
Sounds like you were in agreement with me before you replied and shot off your mouth.
Reply | Threaded
|

billyymc
MogulMaster wrote
Sounds like you were in agreement with me before you replied and shot off your mouth.
MogulMaster wrote
Get my point?
Depends. If your point was proving you're a d-bag, then point taken.
Reply | Threaded
|

MogulMaster
Banned User
Just think, if you got a season pass at Greek you wouldn't be sitting around on a ski forum calling people names, mad you haven't gotten out much yet.  Enjoy all your out west trips.  Hopefully your lack of early season conditioning doesn't lead to injury.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
So Camp, your definition of training lift attendants is failing to tell any of them to check lift tickets or passes, and not holding them accountable? This went on for an entire season, as well as the start of this ski season. I almost feel like leaving  my 17-18 pass on my jacket and putting my 19-20 pass in my pocket just to see how long it would take anyone to notice, including Ron.

The cost of just one person skiing without paying is just about the daily salary one lift attendant. I saw a girl last season ski with her brothers season pass. Greek Peak can not afford the loss.

Great Peak does many things well, but they don’t do everything well. You can defend them all you want, but they don’t train their employees adequately. About the only department that is run well is the waterpark, and that is because they use an outside consulting firm who makes periodic inspections of the staff.
Reply | Threaded
|

billyymc
In reply to this post by MogulMaster
MogulMaster wrote
Just think, if you got a season pass at Greek you wouldn't be sitting around on a ski forum calling people names, mad you haven't gotten out much yet.  Enjoy all your out west trips.  Hopefully your lack of early season conditioning doesn't lead to injury.
I'm annoyed by the weather, but certainly not mad that I haven't gotten to ski Fields/Iliad/Odyssey repeats on man made snow. I'll take my one backcountry day skiing, earning turns in two feet of untracked powder, over your two weeks of skiing at Greek. I'm not criticizing your choice, because I skied Greek for many years and doing so has its merits.  

Thanks, I'll will definitely enjoy my trips. I'll send you a postcard.

As for conditioning, I'll put my conditioning up against anyone's here (except maybe Peter Minde!!).
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by MogulMaster
MogulMaster wrote
   Get my point?
Yes
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
No. My response, again, was to your blanket statement that people get hired, show up, and trained by people who aren't already trained. I know that to be false.

My buddy runs the repair shop and he's certified in about everything you can think of when it comes to that. He trains his own people. He was trained by one of the best GP has ever had in Perko.

Again, directed at your blanket statement. As you say every biz can improve. To think otherwise would be foolish.
1 ... 18192021222324 ... 53