classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
1058 messages Options
1 ... 21222324252627 ... 53
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Greek Peak Conditions

tjf1967
We have all been out picking up rocks, its never ending.  I got taken off that duty I was not doing it properly and they were afraid of a workers comp claim.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
LOL

dont try to pick up the boulders
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
TJ picks things up and puts them down
Reply | Threaded
|

Cornhead
This post was updated on .
Not a drop of rain from 8:30-11:00. Snow was much like last Saturday, soft/firm, fast, thin in spots. Visibility sucked, not foggy, but very flat light. After a couple runs off the quad, Fields and Karyatis, I decided to check out Trojan. Weird having the wind at your back starting down Trojan. I'm used to it blowing straight up the trail. Absolutely no one but me for about four runs down Trojan. Like your own personal lift and trail. It skied nicely. A little bare skier's right top of second drop. I skied right along skier's left edge all, or most, of the way down.

I kept checking the sign at the top of Mars, closed, scheduled to open at 9. Finally changed to thin and bare around 10. The liftie told me to traverse at your own risk. It was pretty thin in a couple spots, but I was able to ski all the way. Lower Mars was good. The usual spots were thin. Just before the last pitch was the worse.

One run was enough, thought I'd try and preserve my fresh tune by Louie at McCauley. As I headed down Poseidon I came upon two female patrol who where taking off their skis and walking down the first bare spot. It was skiable. I skied a foot wide strip along the left edge of the trail, no jagged rocks.šŸ˜‰ I did mockingly say, this trail is open?! as I passed. I heard they shut down 5 later. I dropped into lower Zeus, again pretty thin at the top, but once past that, excellent. I was almost tempted to grab my rock skis and give upper Zeus a go. They blew quite a bit on it.

I headed back to the front side expecting a healthy line at the quad with racing taking place on Odyssey. There was no line. I guess there never was with not many regular customers skiing. I hit Fields and Alcmene and called it a day.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
Nice report, Corn. They rushed to open chair 5 this year, so the bare spots don't surprise me. They've been fighting just to keep Upper Mars somewhat skiable.

I was away this weekend, but it looks like I didn't miss much.

It would appear as through they may have a window of opportunity to make some snow tonight. If not, they won't get a second chance until much later in the week.
Reply | Threaded
|

Cornhead

Thanks RJ,  well today started out pretty friggin brutal. Can you say ice? That's what the surface was first couple runs. We decided to stop and have breakfast in the Taverna and let the sun do some work. It worked, skied Fields after that. It wasn't too bad. At least there was now some loose snow to push around. They did close Stoic, then lower Alcmene. You had to ski across to lower Illiad to get down from Fields.

There was another race on Odyssey today. They resorted to loading the quad as a double due to the thin offload ramp up top. Still better than that nightmarish jagged rock day.

Anyway, we tired of the line and decided to checkout Trojan. It was pretty good, more bare spots than yesterday, but relativy soft.

Is a red thin and bare worse than a blue thin and bare sign? I say yes!

Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Nice article on Greek Peak and John Meier. GP article starts on page 14

https://issuu.com/scotthopko/docs/wh-0086_dec_19_web

Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
Nice find, Camp.

John sure does like to use the term, "Snow Farmer." He inserts that into every interview he does.

It should be interesting to see how/if things change now that he is the sole owner. I was a little disappointed to read that it would be business as usual with minimal annual improvements. There's nothing wrong with playing it conservatively, if status quo is what he desires.
Reply | Threaded
|

scrundy
Iā€™m happy with it just the way it is as long as they keep farming snow ā„ļø as much as they can. I donā€™t want better lifts, hell these old bone can only take 2 1/2 - 3 hours doing laps now at the pace the lifts run. If they speed them up Iā€™ll have to take breaks šŸ¤£
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by Rj1972
LOL

Considering we've come from no annual improvements, minimal annual improvements are very welcome.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
campgottagopee wrote
LOL

Considering we've come from no annual improvements, minimal annual improvements are very welcome.
Considering the new owners started with zero debt, more was expected. For $7.5 million, they basically purchased land, and now need to build a ski area. Hope Lake Lodge was the icing on the cake in terms of a revenue generator.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
More was expected by who? You? I'd venture a guess most are extremely happy with what's been going on at Greek Peak.

Rj1972 wrote
. For $7.5 million, they basically purchased land, and now need to build a ski area.
If this were true he should have his head examined. Who the hell would build a ski area in CNY nowdays.

Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
campgottagopee wrote
Who the hell would build a ski area in CNY nowdays.
Isn't that the truth!
Reply | Threaded
|

radskier
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
Thatā€™s a really nice fairytale,  guessing the editor has never been to gp.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
It was an interview there Einstein
Reply | Threaded
|

radskier
Ok so itā€™s marks fairytale of how great it is at gp???
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
How is Greek gonna be on Sunday guys?
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
Brownski wrote
How is Greek gonna be on Sunday guys?
Itā€™s currently 23 degrees, so hopefully snowmaking will begin soon. From what Iā€™ve been told, quite a bit of repair needs to occur. They originally talked about opening chair 5 tomorrow, but it doesnā€™t appear that will occur. We are heading to Vermont this weekend, but will be at Greek Peak the following weekend. That should afford them ample time to make snow.
Reply | Threaded
|

Joneski73
Looks like theyā€™re getting some lake effect love as we speakšŸ‘
Ski the snow on the ground, not the date on the calendar. - Glenn Plake
Reply | Threaded
|

scrundy
Skied tonight: HOLY SHIT that sled running around with a blown exhaust manifold gasket was loud. Getting some love for Ma tonight, boy they need it. Snow blowing all over and crews out getting ready for more. Temps look good for at least the next 3 days so hopefully by Saturday things will be much better.
1 ... 21222324252627 ... 53