classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
1058 messages Options
1 ... 19202122232425 ... 53
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Greek Peak Conditions

campgottagopee
Willy, FWIW there were plenty of people skiing untracked for several days at GP in Nov.

carry on
Reply | Threaded
|

MogulMaster
Banned User
In reply to this post by billyymc
billyymc wrote
MogulMaster wrote
Just think, if you got a season pass at Greek you wouldn't be sitting around on a ski forum calling people names, mad you haven't gotten out much yet.  Enjoy all your out west trips.  Hopefully your lack of early season conditioning doesn't lead to injury.
I'm annoyed by the weather, but certainly not mad that I haven't gotten to ski Fields/Iliad/Odyssey repeats on man made snow. I'll take my one backcountry day skiing, earning turns in two feet of untracked powder, over your two weeks of skiing at Greek. I'm not criticizing your choice, because I skied Greek for many years and doing so has its merits.  

Thanks, I'll will definitely enjoy my trips. I'll send you a postcard.

As for conditioning, I'll put my conditioning up against anyone's here (except maybe Peter Minde!!).
Do you really think all season has been only lapping Fields, Illiad and Odessey?  I recall twice now natural conditions got good enough to ski the whole hill.  Both times saw an eventual meltdown.  I'm positive I've got more 1 to 2 foot powder runs at Greek this year than you got in your one day of touring.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
campgottagopee wrote
No. My response, again, was to your blanket statement that people get hired, show up, and trained by people who aren't already trained. I know that to be false.

My buddy runs the repair shop and he's certified in about everything you can think of when it comes to that. He trains his own people. He was trained by one of the best GP has ever had in Perko.

Again, directed at your blanket statement. As you say every biz can improve. To think otherwise would be foolish.
My blanket statement followed the plethora of posts regarding lift attendants not organizing lines, shoveling snow, removing rocks, etc. Overall, Greek Peak could improve in many facets.

Don’t get me wrong, we love the place because it’s a ghost town. If they increased skier visits to that of the Catskills and Poconos, we’d likely sell the house.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
In reply to this post by MogulMaster
Dude...... you’re so hard core, so bad ass.

It would be an honor to have you F my girlfriend or my sister. Please send me a profile pic so I can get a neck tattoo. Thanks.
Reply | Threaded
|

billyymc
campgottagopee wrote
Willy, FWIW there were plenty of people skiing untracked for several days at GP in Nov.

carry on
Camp, I was there. I know what the conditions were. There were some really nice days on natural snow. I also know how deep it actually was because I was there on one of the deepest days, and I know how fast it gets tracked out.

MM criticized me for choosing to do something different and go with an Ikon pass to ski in VT and out west, as well as try and get some variety in around other NY areas. I didn't criticize his or anyone's choice to get a pass at Greek. If that works for people excellent. Greek has done a great job with snowmaking improvements this year - I've said it many times, and I have friends with passes there who have had a lot of fun days on that so far!

I don't feel bad that I'm not skiing Greek much this season, I do feel bad for all of us enduring this shit weather though.

I'm done commenting here, because I have no vested interest in Greek.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
In reply to this post by Rj1972
Not for nothing but the jaged rocks thing, apart from being hilarious, is probably easily explained. The top operator's job is primarily to hit the stop button if something goes wrong.  When things go wrong (rare) they go wrong very quickly. A few kids fall on the ramp, operator hits stop= no big deal. But if the liftie is not paying attention or not right next to the button, another chair is going to unload, which creates a hazard. They’ve probably been trained specifically not to be out of reach of the stop button unless the lift isn’t moving or another liftie has relieved them. I  understand that people get frustrated but often it’s out of ignorance. There are lots of people on here with knowledge to ask questions of whenever something appears confusing.
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Rj1972 wrote

Don’t get me wrong, we love the place because it’s a ghost town. If they increased skier visits to that of the Catskills and Poconos, we’d likely sell the house.
I don't foresee that happening. I too wish it would but not because I want to sell my house, we love our place and feel very fortunate to be able to live where we do. If we were to move in would only be to another house in Virgil or out of state.

I will say the hotel has had quite a bit of activity this year, good to see. I've soften mucho on that hotel. My initial hatred towards it was because I was pissed they were spending $50 to $75 million not on the ski side. That chapped many people. But I can see if I lived in (pick and city within a 3.5 hr drive) and had kids how I would be attracted to the place. All in all I think it's reasonably priced for that market.

Anyway, we need snow......
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
billyymc wrote
  I do feel bad for all of us enduring this shit weather though.

Same here Willy
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
I hope you all get the winter you've been wishing for.
I don't rip, I bomb.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
This was November ---- this is all I wish for ---- the riding was spectacular ----- undisclosed location with many possibilities

Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
In reply to this post by Johnnyonthespot
Johnnyonthespot wrote
I hope you all get the winter you've been wishing for.
As opposed to the winter they deserve. What the hell are you guys bickering about? I feel damn sorry for those places South of Albany - this is looking like a tough restart of what should have been a great season. I can see why people are getting frustrated but this too will pass.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

Dougski
So, to bring this back to the Conditions part of Greek Peak Conditions, Is anyone skiing today? I just glanced at the web cam and see there are actually people on the hill. A few. Looks quite wet!
Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
campgottagopee wrote
I will say the hotel has had quite a bit of activity this year, good to see. I've soften mucho on that hotel. My initial hatred towards it was because I was pissed they were spending $50 to $75 million not on the ski side. That chapped many people. But I can see if I lived in (pick and city within a 3.5 hr drive) and had kids how I would be attracted to the place. All in all I think it's reasonably priced for that market.

Anyway, we need snow......
Camp, you are getting soft. The next thing you know, you’ll be purchasing a timeshare at HLL.  

In all seriousness, we really need some snow. Folks looking out their windows at brown tend not to get motivated to ski.

Reply | Threaded
|

Cornhead
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by Dougski
Dougski wrote
So, to bring this back to the Conditions part of Greek Peak Conditions, Is anyone skiing today? I just glanced at the web cam and see there are actually people on the hill. A few. Looks quite wet!
Yes, while all you drama queens were bitching at your keyboards, Jagged Rock Guy and the race kids were on the hill. And a few adaptive and blind skiers, kudos to all. Not and ideal day, but not a complete deluge. A lot of time with just drizzle, or no rain at all. The snow was soft and hard, if that makes any sense. Very fast, not always comfortable if you chose that route. A bit of a harsh ride at speed. Visibility really sucked, as you can imagine. The upper hill was in and out of fog all morning. A few bare spots here and there, Alcmene. Stoic had a water bar the width of the trail just before the last drop. Everything skied really nice aside from being firm, nice edgeable groomed granular.

Trojan

Zeus in mid November form

Odyssey

Now I know why the chairs are worn out, I did it while all you trolls were typing, or snowmobiling, or jerking off.

JRG
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
LOL

I have a hard enough time using the one I already have!
Reply | Threaded
|

MogulMaster
Banned User

It was good to be skiing that so early and close to home.  I never acted like it was bottomless powder or compared it to out west.  But, also I think you are wrong how fast it gets tracked out.  If you are just lapping Fields, Illiad and Odessey then sure.  But, GP is a large area if you are willing to hike around a little when the lifts aren't all running.  After all you are so fit.  

However,  I didnt criticize you for buying an IKON pass and planning to go out west.  I think that's great.  But, on the other hand it's nice to have a pass to a local hill nearby especially when it's open.  I also didn't criticize you wanting some variety.  I just pointed out that this season some variety was added to the GP pass through Freedom and other free tickets and perks.  It's not that you have to choose one or the other.  You can get both.  If I owned a place at GP, I would for sure have a pass there.
Reply | Threaded
|

wonderpony
In reply to this post by Cornhead
Thanks for the pics, especially of Trojan. I haven't been over there yet.  Today was stoopid adulting day at home because it looks like winter will return and i figure that it's better to deal with this crap on a rainy day and free up my life for skiing when conditions are good. I have Monday off and plan on skiing day 13 at GP.  Of course winter will return when I have to go back to work.
Reply | Threaded
|

MogulMaster
Banned User
In reply to this post by raisingarizona
raisingarizona wrote
Dude...... you’re so hard core, so bad ass.

It would be an honor to have you F my girlfriend or my sister. Please send me a profile pic so I can get a neck tattoo. Thanks.
Hey you know if I banged your sister, we would then have something in common.
Reply | Threaded
|

wonderpony
The thing about being old, is that we don't understand some things. For example, I thought that pre-gaming meant drinking lots of water before going out, in order to prevent a hangover.  Who knew that a neck tattoo had something to do with getting laid?  I didn't realize that you had to count your encounters on  your neck.  My bad.

Meanwhile, back to the concept that this is actually a forum about skiing, did anybody ski today?

WP
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
wonderpony wrote
The thing about being old, is that we don't understand some things. For example, I thought that pre-gaming meant drinking lots of water before going out, in order to prevent a hangover.  Who knew that a neck tattoo had something to do with getting laid?  I didn't realize that you had to count your encounters on  your neck.  My bad.

Meanwhile, back to the concept that this is actually a forum about skiing, did anybody ski today?

WP
Ha! I liked you right from the start WP but this comment makes me like you even more. Neck tattoos are funny. I skied today but not at Greek so I cannot report on the conditions there.
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
1 ... 19202122232425 ... 53