Pics!
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Greek Peak Conditions

wonderpony
In reply to this post by Cornhead
I dunno. The dude from Breckenridge was pretty psyched to be there.  He had also skied yesterday, on his skis that he brought with him from Colorado.  To quote him "Every day on skis is a good day." I'm sticking with that.  Anybody who skis over a hundred days at Breckenridge and still appreciates GP has the right perspective, IMO.  :)

I have ridden up with multiple people who complained the whole way up.  For those of you on this board who complain so much, why do you even go?  You're dropping $500 for your pass.  You're unhappy.  What's the point?  

Meanwhile, I have a sunburned/windburned nose. I am happy with how I skied today.  I got to talk to GP legacy, as well as riding up with a super cool young woman who was creating another ski addict with so much positive energy that it was amazing.  

My only regret is that I have to go to work tomorrow. I think that tomorrow will be another good day.  I would love to call in "sick", but I don't think that tomorrow is a good day to call in.  First day of classes and all that... :p

WP
Reply | Threaded
|

billyymc
wonderpony wrote
For those of you on this board who complain so much, why do you even go?  You're dropping $500 for your pass.  You're unhappy.  What's the point?
WP - I can only speak for myself as someone who in the past has been pretty critical of GP. This year I didnt' get a pass there, largely because I needed some variety. I've skied GP three times this year - once free on a buddy pass, once on a 2 for 1 WArren Miller pass, and then last Thursday when you could get $12 tickets. First day was very good, second day ok, last Thursday was worth the $12 (not GP's fault).

So I'm already thinking about what to do next year, and not sure I'll go back to a GP pass. I have to give them credit for putting in the new snowmaking - super job and it lays down snow on those trails very quickly. But they talked about it for years and it took forever. I guess my two biggest issues with Greek are lift operations - they can't put a damn few ropes up to manage a line, and their lifts seem to break down a lot, and the quad just plain sucks - and the fact that the whole vibe of the place is no longer that of a small local hill (to me). I'll also say that I think their day ticket prices are too high, but again I've been skiing there long enough that I get bored there so that could be part of it.

Ski at other places WP. You'll see and feel what's different. I skied Lab this past weekend, and there were a LOT of people there but the line never got mucked up. The lifties put up ropes to create lanes at the triple...a lane for three, a lane for doubles, a lane for singles. GP won't do that at the quad and there have been people here who offer all kinds of reasons why it's not possible!! According to Campy Lab and Song are Ghetto. I'd describe them as chill local places. GP isn't that, and I"m not sure it ever was...it's like they don't have an identity and cant' figure out what they want to be.

It's weird that people, so many people, have such a love/hate feeling for GP. I hear it often when I'm there, and it really seems like it comes from locals. Theyre' doing some things right, so maybe if they keep it up that will smooth itself out. Or maybe they could walk up to people they hear bitching about the place and ask them what they could do better. Who knows. I still think there could be a surprise change in ownership there within the next 12-16 months...and that's solely a wild ass guess.

Looks like snow coming this weekend so GP should only get better for the season.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Billy brings up some very good points. The vibe is different but that started right when HLL was built. Right from the get go locals weren't welcome at the hotel or water park. Once they realized the money wasn't there without the local dollar it was opened up to anyone who had the cash to get in. So yes, in the past they've struggled with their identity. Trax, imo, still has that local skiers vibe as does the deck. Unfortunately they still need to concentrate on filling that hotel to pay the bills that a monster such as that creates. Proof is in the pudding and the upgrades that have been made on the ski side are paying off.
When I say Song and Lab are ghetto what I mean is the terrain and facilities, not the people. I've always loved skiing Lab, Song is so boring, at least it is to me.
If you we're to go back and look at my first post on here in 2010 it still holds true to this day. Greek Peak is my home hill, it's in my backyard. There's plenty wrong with the place but I love it.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by wonderpony
WP ..... Greek was originally founded by members of the Cortland Ski Club. My Dad was a member of that club but not a founder of GP. The Cortland Ski Club skied at Snow Crest that was located on Page Green Rd aprox 1.5 miles from GP.
If you ever go over to the race shack you'll see the original base lodge from Snow Crest. It's a cool building.
The first year that GP was open my dad had a seasons pass to both Snow Crest and GP for 14 dollars.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee

This is a pic of my dad at Snow Crest. If you look closely at his coat you can see the patches in the frame are sewn on the sleeve.

I can't help but being a Homer. I was born into it
Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
That photo is pretty cool, Camp.

Are you saying that the old race shack was Snow Crest's base lodge?

In terms of Snow Crest, where exactly did it sit on Page Green Road? What is there now?

Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Yes. The race shack in Apollo Hollow is the old base lodge from Snow Crest.

From 392 heading north on PG Rd Snow Crest would be on your left aprox 2.5 miles up. It was originally part of the Lang farm. If you're familiar with the sharp bend right by Lash Rd, Snow Crest would be right on top of the hill after that intersection. There's a red pole barn there now and it's now full of trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
campgottagopee wrote
I had no idea. That is very interesting. I just assumed that the ski club built the structure in the current location. I guess it explains why there is an office and window directly to your left when you enter the building from the mountain side. I just assumed that this was built as the coaches office.

campgottagopee wrote
From 392 heading north on PG Rd Snow Crest would be on your left aprox 2.5 miles up. It was originally part of the Lang farm. If you're familiar with the sharp bend right by Lash Rd, Snow Crest would be right on top of the hill after that intersection. There's a red pole barn there now and it's now full of trees.
I need to do a drive by. Thanks for the directions. I always knew it was on Page Green, but had no idea where.
Reply | Threaded
|

trackbiker
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
campgottagopee wrote

Camp, You should report that here. It's not on the Lost Ski Areas of New York.
Lost NY Ski Areas
Reply | Threaded
|

pro2860
In reply to this post by Rj1972
Snow Crest 1947
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
I like the old pic, Pro. That’s cool. I’m gonna get out my old CCC ski guide when I get home and look up Virgil.
Somebody remind me
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
That is a great photo! And to think that we bitch about the grooming from time-to-time.

Reply | Threaded
|

wonderpony
 I had no idea what Apollo's Hollow is (and I still don't), so I googled it and came up with this:

Three in Central NY

WP
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by pro2860
I forgot you had that Pro. That's a cool photo.

WP Apollo Hollow is lookers right of the ski patrol building. I don't know if that's what they still call it but that's what I've always known it as. It's also where the freestyle jumps used to be.
Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
very cool history lesson and pics
Reply | Threaded
|

wonderpony
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
Oooohhhh.....  Kinda sorta tucked in behind the bottom of Odyssey and Olympian, then? I had no idea about the freestyle jumps.  Cool!

I skied GP with the IHS ski club in 1981.  I remember the Tbar and getting dumped off of it when my friend had a hard time with it.  I also remember skiing there in college, and making 10 minute top to bottom runs on Chair 1, but I can't remember if I was skiing Odyssey or Iliad.  I also remember sitting in the A frames, watching people do what I called "the bendy-knee thing" down Stoic.  I am guessing there were moguls on Stoic back then.  I remember when opening up the back side was a big deal, and there was no snow making on it.  Snow making must have come into play when I resumed skiing after a 20 year hiatus.  (The ex didn't ski, so I didn't.  My son went with the Boynton ski club, I went skiing with him once, and after playing on the magic carpet and then the bunny slope, I was hooked again.  The next season, I purchased a pass and equipment at the fall ski sale and haven't looked back since.)

WPolderthandirt
Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
wonderpony wrote
I had no idea what Apollo's Hollow is (and I still don't), so I googled it and came up with this:

WP
When you look over in the direction that Camp is referring to, you will see two buildings. The upper building is the newer race building, and the lower dark brown building is the old race building (snow crest lodge per Camp).
Reply | Threaded
|

wonderpony
So, here's a weird, random question, although perhaps it doesn't belong in this forum.  If so, I apologize.  5 or 6 or so years ago, I took my son to Play It Again Sports in Ithaca to look for boots.  There was a guy there who helped us out.  He had been either on the US Freestyle team in the 1980s or tried out for it. I don't remember.  I did think that it was super cool that this guy with a wonderful past was helping out fit boots in our local store.  He also told me about what used to be a ski place on Level Green Rd., outside of Slaterville.  

Anyhow, for those of you with a long standing knowledge of the local history, do you have any idea of who this guy could have been?

Thanks,

WP
Reply | Threaded
|

wonderpony
Got it.  Thanks!
1 ... 25262728293031 ... 53