classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
420 messages Options
1 ... 78910111213 ... 21
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Lift Ticket Prices for 14-15

PowderAssassin
The other thing is for some strange reason people(who've never skied before) think you need to head north and drive hours  into vermont/adirondacks to learn to ski at some mega resort. It makes absolutely no sense. Look how many complete beginners you see at okemo or any ski area up there. If these feeder hills would simply market to these non skiers that it's a complete waste of gas/money/time/cheaper lift tickets to head up there because there are snow guns and just because your backyard doesn't have snow, doesn't mean the local ski isn't covered with snow.
14-15 Season:

11-22 Snow Ridge (opening day 35")          1-7 Snow Ridge (10")
11-28 Grand targhee                                  1-8 Telluride(12 inches)
11-30 jackson hole(10 inches)                      1-9 Whistler(12 inches)
                                                                  1-11 mt bactchelor(20 inches)
12-7 Vail(15 inches)                                      1-12 Mt baker(30 inches
12-10 Whistler(20 inches)
12-12 Whistler helisking(bottomless)
12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-18 Kirkwood(50 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
12-22 Grand targhee(40 inches)
12-26 jackson hole(26 inches)
12-28 Chugatch backcountry(bottomless powder)
Reply | Threaded
|

Grillman
I taught my kids at the old Tuxedo Ridge and then 8 years ago, when they were 8 and 10, started to make the drive north to Whiteface...now we buy season passes in the spring and head up every weekend....it keeps my teenagers busy on weekends and out of trouble in suburban NJ...and if you leave at the right time, you can make the drive in 4-4.5 hours.

As for missing school, i am all for it....if there is good snow, i pull the kids and off we go.
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
In reply to this post by PowderAssassin
PowderAssassin wrote
The other thing is for some strange reason people(who've never skied before) think you need to head north and drive hours  into vermont/adirondacks to learn to ski at some mega resort. It makes absolutely no sense. Look how many complete beginners you see at okemo or any ski area up there. If these feeder hills would simply market to these non skiers that it's a complete waste of gas/money/time/cheaper lift tickets to head up there because there are snow guns and just because your backyard doesn't have snow, doesn't mean the local ski isn't covered with snow.
That's totally false, people who have never skied before simply don't bother learning to ski.

As a side note, this would still depend on geography. I doubt that people from Buffalo or Albany think they have to go to Vermont to ski. Maybe Boston, but who knows. Not me or you, that's who.
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
In reply to this post by PowderAssassin
PowderAssassin wrote
Not everybody is as single minded about skiing as those who post on these boards.

I have friends who had never skied before join me for a weekend up north at a large ski area. They get to try skiing, enjoy the mountains with friends, maybe hit the bar  and/or hot tub after skiing, enjoy some north country ambiance and see what I have been talking about. They get to do this with friends who have done this before - making the trip less intimidating vs trying to figure it out on their own. These people still get out there a few weekends per year. Are they striving to get much beyond the green and blue trails they enjoy now? Probably not - but this is fine for them.

Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by Harvey
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
Mountain Creek
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Moar mountain creek
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
     mnf should be fun tonight!

I know plenty of intermediate at best skiers who only put in a handful of days a season in either vt, the daks or out west who just can't understand why I waste my time skiing so many days in the pokeys, 'skills or gp   I think some just do it for conversations sake to say to I ski'd blabbity blah blah  theyre also the ones reading ski magazine and filling in reader polls
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by PeeTex
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by snoloco
I think the person who says Mountain Creek  has to drink. It's not like beer pong or whales tales where you make the other person drink.  I like the pun "hop to it."

Re Mount Peter - If I lived closer - like 30 minutes, I'd take my eight year old and a friend for an hour or two every weekend.  The way it is now, I'm halfway to Plattekill when I get there, so I'd probably go solo and hit the Cats.

Reality is that Platty needs my business more than Mt Peter and that effects my decision too.  I really like Mt Peter. They were sooo good to me when I was there.  Patrol took Neve and I into the mancave and made us cocoa...she loved that so much. But I feel like family at Plattekill.

"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by PeeTex
Less "Moar."
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Harvey wrote
Less "Moar."
Maybe less is Moar!
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
snoloco wrote
I guess I have to do this in this thread as well.  Don't get in a car anytime soon mattchuck, ml242 or gorgonzola.  You've got 54 beers to drink, so hop to it.  

Mountain Creek  Mountain Creek  Mountain Creek  Mountain Creek  Mountain Creek  Mountain Creek  Mountain Creek  Mountain Creek  Mountain Creek  Mountain Creek  Mountain Creek  Mountain Creek  Mountain Creek  Mountain Creek  Mountain Creek  Mountain Creek  Mountain Creek  Mountain Creek  Mountain Creek  Mountain Creek  Mountain Creek  Mountain Creek  Mountain Creek  Mountain Creek  Mountain Creek  Mountain Creek  Mountain Creek  Mountain Creek  Mountain Creek  Mountain Creek  Mountain Creek  Mountain Creek  Mountain Creek  Mountain Creek  Mountain Creek  Mountain Creek  Mountain Creek  Mountain Creek  Mountain Creek  Mountain Creek  Mountain Creek  Mountain Creek  Mountain Creek  Mountain Creek  Mountain Creek  Mountain Creek  Mountain Creek  Mountain Creek  Mountain Creek  Mountain Creek  Mountain Creek  Mountain Creek  Mountain Creek  Mountain Creek
 sorry that's not how the game works son
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
The same guy who said this.
gorgonzola wrote
Not sure what year you're in sno but my son is a junior this year and there's a lot riding on it. last year he did junior instructing and a moguls program and probably had 75-80 days on the snow. We nixed both this season to focus on gpa and sat's  we have block scheduling and the classroom time lost to band and sports is tough enough to stay on top of  - there will no ski days off for him this year! last night our dinner discussion was laying down the law regarding weekend skiing and hockey privileges, they'll be evaluated weekly based on classwork, test and sat prep performance  

and was responded to with this
Coach Z wrote
Wow

Serious suburban parental overload syndrome.  You need to get some of Benny's edibles and relax on your poor kid.  Unless you have a slacker kid all that extra pressure does not assure you results.  Unless you are shooting for a full rude to An Ivy it seems pretty excessive to me.  You suburban guys need to chill out.

Taking skiing away from my kid would need to be punishment for burning down the house not getting a B+ instead of an A in biology.
is now in a drinking game to make fun of someone a year younger than his own kid who he seriously restricted his ski days for not doing as well in school.  Sounds like a case of IFHS to me in addition to Coach's SPOS for Suburban Parental Overload Syndrome.  IFHS stands for Internet Forum Hypocrisy Syndrome.
Reply | Threaded
|

Spongeworthy
In reply to this post by ml242
ml242 wrote
Mountain Creek

"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." Oscar Gamble
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
Mountain Creek
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
snoloco wrote
Sounds like a case of IFHS to me in addition to Coach's SPOS for Suburban Parental Overload Syndrome.  IFHS stands for Internet Forum Hypocrisy Syndrome.
It's not a syndrome, it's the IFH CLub. I'm not only the president, I'm also a member.
Reply | Threaded
|

freeheeln
snoloco wrote
Mountain Creek charges 350 for a full season pass which gets you 170 acres and 1,000 foot vertical which are fully lit for night skiing and have 100% snowmaking and grooming as well as 3 high speed lifts.  Their only issue is crowds and a short season which only lasts from mid December to late March.
please ,SOMEONE ,MAKE IT STOP
Tele turns are optional not mandatory.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Back on topic, I wonder which other mountains will break the 100 dollar barrier in years to come.  I think that once one mountain has done it, that it won't be such a big deal.  For anyone who has skied Stowe, is it an upscale, service oriented resort like Deer Valley, or do they just price high to keep crowds down?
Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
Sno I didn't do the drinking game thing to make fun of you, sorry you took it that way. At the time I thought was  a clever and humorous way to point out that not every facet of every mountain op needs to be compared to mc in a ny centered ski blog  Your posts are well thought out and written so it's easy to forget that they're based on limited exposure, mostly centered around your beloved home mountain.

And by the way, you and coach both misinterpreted my sons skiing privileges - they weren't taken away as any sort of punishment but rather factored into an incentive program. He' s been holding his own so it looks like he will be instructing again this season as long as he keeps it up

Oh, and I have many issues with lots of fancy acronyms  
1 ... 78910111213 ... 21