Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: N Vermont VS tug hill contest

Snowballs
Banned User
This post was updated on .
Harvey wrote
You got a logical fallacy going. Just because ski areas ski on public land does not mean any ski area can expand onto any public land at any time.
Harv's got a point there !
Reply | Threaded
|

PowderAssassin
This post was updated on .
Snowballs wrote
Harvey wrote
You got a logical fallacy going. Just because ski areas ski on public land does not mean any ski area can expand onto any public land at any time.
Actually just read my post. I never said that at all....in fact I said "permission" was needed due to it being on state forest land.
14-15 Season:

11-22 Snow Ridge (opening day 35")          1-7 Snow Ridge (10")
11-28 Grand targhee                                  1-8 Telluride(12 inches)
11-30 jackson hole(10 inches)                      1-9 Whistler(12 inches)
                                                                  1-11 mt bactchelor(20 inches)
12-7 Vail(15 inches)                                      1-12 Mt baker(30 inches
12-10 Whistler(20 inches)
12-12 Whistler helisking(bottomless)
12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-18 Kirkwood(50 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
12-22 Grand targhee(40 inches)
12-26 jackson hole(26 inches)
12-28 Chugatch backcountry(bottomless powder)
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
PowderAssassin wrote
Snowballs wrote
Harvey wrote
Actually just read my post. I never said that at all....in fact I said "permission" was needed due to it being on state forest land.
Roger that ! To be clear PA, I was responding to something Harv posted in another thread. Tis all.

Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
In reply to this post by PowderAssassin
PowderAssassin wrote
 I never said that at all....in fact I said "permission" was needed
Kind of like you asking Ms Ludovici to use the little boys room
Reply | Threaded
|

Glade Runner
Banned User

PowderAssassin wrote
You simply need to file and get permission.
Yea because that's just simply done and anyplace can do it.
Reply | Threaded
|

Glade Runner
Banned User
From Snow Ridge:"Unfortunately, the rain has taken it's toll on the slopes and we will not be able to re-open on Friday as planned. Saturday and Sunday are not looking good either. It doesn't look like there are any storms on the horizon, but as soon as the temperatures drop, we will be firing up the guns again to start making snow. Keep checking back for updates."Meanwhile at Jay 69 of 76 trails open.
Reply | Threaded
|

PowderAssassin
Glade Runner wrote
From Snow Ridge:"Unfortunately, the rain has taken it's toll on the slopes and we will not be able to re-open on Friday as planned. Saturday and Sunday are not looking good either. It doesn't look like there are any storms on the horizon, but as soon as the temperatures drop, we will be firing up the guns again to start making snow. Keep checking back for updates."Meanwhile at Jay 69 of 76 trails open.
Jay peak/stowe MAKE a TON of snow. They're also colder and hold snow longer. They're MUCH higher. No one ever argued about snow cover/depth over a year. That's different than what falls from the sky.
14-15 Season:

12-7 Vail(15 inches)                                      1-12 Mt baker(30 inches
12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
Reply | Threaded
|

Glade Runner
Banned User
PowderAssassin wrote
Glade Runner wrote
Jay peak/stowe MAKE a TON of snow. They're also colder and hold snow longer. They're MUCH higher. No one ever argued about snow cover/depth over a year. That's different than what falls from the sky.
69 trails means glades are open which means natural is on the ground.  Snow Ridge doesnt have much left from the sounds of it and they are about to blow snow.  How many inches has snow ridge got so far even though most of it is gone?
Reply | Threaded
|

PowderAssassin
Glade Runner wrote
PowderAssassin wrote
Glade Runner wrote
69 trails means glades are open which means natural is on the ground.  Snow Ridge doesnt have much left from the sounds of it and they are about to blow snow.  How many inches has snow ridge got so far even though most of it is gone?
What part of this "They're also colder and hold snow longer. They're MUCH higher. No one ever argued about snow cover/depth over a year." do you not understand? I'm conceding they are colder and hold snow longer. I never argued otherwise
14-15 Season:

12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
Reply | Threaded
|

Glade Runner
Banned User
PowderAssassin wrote
Glade Runner wrote
PowderAssassin wrote
Glade Runner wrote
What part of this "They're also colder and hold snow longer. They're MUCH higher. No one ever argued about snow cover/depth over a year." do you not understand? I'm conceding they are colder and hold snow longer. I never argued otherwise
But you didnt answer my question conveniently.  How much snow has Snow Ridge gotten?
Reply | Threaded
|

Glade Runner
Banned User
Didn't think you would want to answer that.
Reply | Threaded
|

pro2860
You're beating a dead horse. Let it go already...
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: N Vermont vs Tug Hill contest

Glade Runner
Banned User
PowderAssassin wrote
Ok gentleman. The season has started. I'll try to keep this updated. I'm going to use nws measurements and forecasts to compare the two over the season.
Snow ridge missed out on most of the snow in this one, but they still managed to get 35 inches. Truly an EPIC event! So you have a few feet of pow to play in on Saturday(opening day at snow ridge...they should have opened today!). How much powder at jay peak/stowe? zero. They're using snow guns which will ice up the conditions! Snow ridge is all natural this weekend with feet of powder!

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT
SPOTTER REPORTS
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BUFFALO NY
152 PM EST FRI NOV 21 2014

THE FOLLOWING ARE WEEK LONG SNOW TOTALS FROM MONDAY EVENING THROUGH
FRIDAY MORNING. THIS INCLUDES BOTH ROUNDS OF HEAVY LAKE EFFECT SNOW
THAT IMPACTED THE REGION.

********************STORM TOTAL SNOWFALL********************

LOCATION          STORM TOTAL     TIME/DATE   COMMENTS
                     SNOWFALL           OF
                     /INCHES/   MEASUREMENT

NEW YORK

...CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY...
   1 WNW FREDONIA        22.7  1100 AM 11/21  COCORAHS
   4 SSW RIPLEY          10.4  1100 AM 11/21  COCORAHS
   KENNEDY                7.0  1100 AM 11/21  COCORAHS

...ERIE COUNTY...
   1 N HAMBURG           79.5  1100 AM 11/21  NWS EMPLOYEE
   WEST SENECA           78.0  1100 AM 11/21  TRAINED SPOTTER
   LANCASTER             74.0  1100 AM 11/21  NWS EMPLOYEE
   2 NNE ORCHARD PARK    71.0  1100 AM 11/21  NWS EMPLOYEE
   WALES CENTER          69.3  1100 AM 11/21  COCORAHS
   2 SSW BLASDELL        61.0  1100 AM 11/21  COCORAHS
   4 NW ALDEN            57.5  1100 AM 11/21  COCORAHS
   COLDEN                55.1  1100 AM 11/21  COOP OBSERVER
   3 S WEST SENECA       52.5  1100 AM 11/21  NWS EMPLOYEE
   2 NE BOSTON           48.0  1100 AM 11/21  COCORAHS
   AKRON                 26.7  1100 AM 11/21  COCORAHS
   2 SE GLENWOOD         26.3  1100 AM 11/21  COCORAHS
   NY BUFFALO INTL ARPT  16.9  1100 AM 11/21  ASOS
   3 ESE TONAWANDA        7.9  1100 AM 11/21  COCORAHS
   KENMORE                6.8  1100 AM 11/21  COCORAHS
   1 N CLARENCE CENTER    5.5  1100 AM 11/21  COCORAHS

...GENESEE COUNTY...
   CORFU                 49.0  1100 AM 11/21  AMATEUR RADIO
   STAFFORD              17.7  1100 AM 11/21  COCORAHS

...JEFFERSON COUNTY...
   CARTHAGE              33.4  1100 AM 11/21  COCORAHS
   THERESA               27.5  1100 AM 11/21  COCORAHS
   WATERTOWN             24.7  1100 AM 11/21  COCORAHS

...LEWIS COUNTY...
   HIGHMARKET            28.6  1100 AM 11/21  COOP OBSERVER
   5 SSW HARRISVILLE     27.8  1100 AM 11/21  COCORAHS
   1 NW CONSTABLEVILLE   27.5  1100 AM 11/21  COCORAHS
   BEAVER FALLS          18.5  1100 AM 11/21  COCORAHS
   GLENFIELD              9.3  1100 AM 11/21  COOP OBSERVER

...MONROE COUNTY...
   ROCHESTER INTL ARPT    9.3  1100 AM 11/21  ASOS

...NIAGARA COUNTY...
   5 NNE AMHERST          8.5  1100 AM 11/21  COCORAHS
   1 NNE NORTH TONAWAND   4.9  1100 AM 11/21  COCORAHS
   1 NE LOCKPORT          4.6  1100 AM 11/21  COCORAHS
   NIAGARA FALLS          4.6  1100 AM 11/21  COOP OBSERVER
   YOUNGSTOWN             3.7  1100 AM 11/21  COOP OBSERVER

...OSWEGO COUNTY...
   8 NNW REDFIELD        29.0  1100 AM 11/21  COCORAHS
   5 ESE OSWEGO          13.1  1100 AM 11/21  COCORAHS
   BENNETTS BRIDGE        9.0  1100 AM 11/21  COOP OBSERVER
   MINETTO                5.0  1100 AM 11/21  COCORAHS
   PALERMO                2.0  1100 AM 11/21  COOP OBSERVER

...WYOMING COUNTY...
   COWLESVILLE           88.0  1100 AM 11/21  AMATEUR RADIO
   WYOMING               63.0  1100 AM 11/21  COOP OBSERVER
   WARSAW                28.8  1100 AM 11/21  COOP OBSERVER

Snow ridge pic....looking better than jay peak
Its just funny when things don't go his way, he backs out of the things he said he would do right from the first post.  Im still interested in comparing the two.  If you aren't then no need to post.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Glade Runner wrote
Its just funny when things don't go his way, he backs out of the things he said he would do right from the first post.
Yeah, his argument style is complete bullshit. We've already established that. Stop encouraging him. You're just making yourself and everyone else miserable. He'll just defend whatever stupid idea he has way past the point where it's defensible. He'll ignore counterarguments, not answer direct questions, and bring up other dumb points that have absolutely nothing to do with anything. You MUST have realized this by now.

Stop responding. You're contributing nothing. We all already know he's completely wrong. No need to even engage.

Also, stop block quoting his entire rants of idiocy. That was a pain to take out.
Reply | Threaded
|

PowderAssassin
mattchuck2 wrote
Glade Runner wrote
Its just funny when things don't go his way, he backs out of the things he said he would do right from the first post.
Yeah, his argument style is complete bullshit. We've already established that. Stop encouraging him. You're just making yourself and everyone else miserable. He'll just defend whatever stupid idea he has way past the point where it's defensible. He'll ignore counterarguments, not answer direct questions, and bring up other dumb points that have absolutely nothing to do with anything. You MUST have realized this by now.

Stop responding. You're contributing nothing. We all already know he's completely wrong. No need to even engage.

Also, stop block quoting his entire rants of idiocy. That was a pain to take out.
Pfff...so you believe jay peak gets 125 inches more snow than the tug hill on average? And that NVT gets more snow than most of Colorado? I don't even believe jay peak gets more snow than stowe. Not for a second. Stowe is snowiest in Vermont by FAR in my opinion.
Oh and glade, I told you a while ago I wasn't keeping track and that I don't personally trust the reports given by NVT ski areas for seasonal snowfall totals. And you're not keeping track glade, you're just regurgitating ski area reports, not official nws stations.(they have one at jay peak at the base for example)
14-15 Season:

12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
^ This is awesome. You can see exactly what I mean.
Reply | Threaded
|

Glade Runner
Banned User
PowderAssassin wrote
mattchuck2 wrote
Glade Runner wrote

Pfff...so you believe jay peak gets 125 inches more snow than the tug hill on average? And that NVT gets more snow than most of Colorado? I don't even believe jay peak gets more snow than stowe. Not for a second. Stowe is snowiest in Vermont by FAR in my opinion.
Oh and glade, I told you a while ago I wasn't keeping track and that I don't personally trust the reports given by NVT ski areas for seasonal snowfall totals. And you're not keeping track glade, you're just regurgitating ski area reports, not official nws stations.(they have one at jay peak at the base for example)
No I don't believe NVT gets more than most of Colorado.  But, they are the closest in the east.  We've already established that a nws station at the base isn't a good indicator of snow on the mountain.  When the summit has a base of 48" and the base area has a snow base of 18", there is a major difference in the upper and lower areas of the mountain in terms of snowfall.  You've yet to acknowledge this as you base all of your arguments off of climate data and maps, when once again we've established (even Harvey pointed it out) that the peak areas of Jay are so small on a map they don't show up even in the pixels.  The best we can do is go off the reports.  If we believe they exaggerate, then we can adjust it. But, if they all exaggerate then doesn't it all equal out?  It's like once you realized you were wrong you changed the argument to "Mansfield gets more snow than Jay".  This was about the Tug Hill region.  But, also we are seeing that snowfall totals aren't the be all to great skiing.  Base depth and colder climate plays a huge role.

And Matt, it's not making me miserable.  It's a pretty lame form of entertainment.  But, I do have an interest in this topic.  So if you don't, why read it and make yourself miserable?  And if you recall he said his goodbyes after a post from this thread when he got all butt hurt that Jay kept getting snow.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Glade Runner wrote
And Matt, it's not making me miserable.  It's a pretty lame form of entertainment.  But, I do have an interest in this topic.  So if you don't, why read it and make yourself miserable?
It's a form of entertainment that's just about equivalent to burning ants with a magnifying glass. An obvious superior taking out some misplaced anger on a helpless insect with limited intelligence. If that amuses you in some way, fine, but the fact that you continue to do it says more about you than your valid arguments.

And my interest in the thread is limited to my interest in seeing PowAss shrivel up and go away. But the best way to do that isn't to burn him with a magnifying glass. It's to cut off his food supply. I think you understand what I mean, but if you don't, here it is in plain English:

Nothing you say to PowAss matters. He will never back down from his stupid postitions. Just stop encouraging him to argue. Every time you see a post of his, just say to yourself: "there's another post from somebody who has no idea what he's talking about" and move on to another post from someone who actually offers value to the forum and respond to that person. Much like what I just did when I responded to you, not him.
Reply | Threaded
|

Glade Runner
Banned User
I think he has some value to the forum.  At the very least his posts draw interest.  What do you think it says about me btw?
Reply | Threaded
|

Glade Runner
Banned User
http://youtu.be/N7bmgWo0P3Q

NVT must be doing pretty good when you have a mountain with 10% snowmaking capability look like this after the last few days.  
1 ... 45678910 ... 13