classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
1254 messages Options
1 ... 17181920212223 ... 63
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Coronavirus

wonderpony
I like that you call him Danger boy.  :)  It must be hard keeping kids entertained while having to stay home.

WP
Reply | Threaded
|

wonderpony
My son is big Granger Smith Fan.  He sent me this. 

WP
Reply | Threaded
|

DomB
In reply to this post by Brownski
Guys and gals -

Stay safe and be careful.  I learned today that I was potentially exposed on Thursday morning (March 26), and am now quarantining.  You can be exposed no matter how careful you are.  I live on Long Island and have literally had skin-to-skin contact only with my dad (in hospice with terminal cancer), my wife, and my two children since March 11.  We have informed everyone we have been in contact with (the hospice and my inlaws) and are now without symptoms and on a personal lock down.  

I was indirectly exposed as follows -- on Monday, my brother was handed keys while at work at a utility on Long Island.  A day or two later, the person who handed him keys tested positive for COVID.  My brother has been to see my dad on each of Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, and on Thursday morning, we were both in hospice together, as the nurse informed us my dad could pass that day.  We were six feet apart, but were in the same room for about two hours.  

Keep in mind that my family had been extremely careful.  Because of my father and my inlaws who have pre-exisiting conditions, we have been effectively quarantined since March 11, having stopped all contact within 6 feet (maybe earlier, but I can't remember).  We literally have a written protocol about what to do everytime we enter and leave the house relating to security, hand washing, and sanitation.  

One bummer in all this is that we have exposed my inlaws, as my wife dropped off groceries (not by hand, left in their apartment) after she was exposed.  They have been quarantining since around March 11 as well due to their pre-existing conditions.  

I haven't posted earlier on the forum because I didn't want to be too direct, but since I am, I just wanted to give heartfelt support (even if virtual) to Camp, Harv, and Jason, all first responders and medical professionals, and anyone facing hardship relating to this situation.  I cannot imagine the toughness of nurses and doctors that willingly walk into the hospitals each day.  The financial challenges that will be faced may be the greatest of any of our lives, but it becomes so much more personal when it hits home, friends, or acquaintances.  

I really try not to troll on the forum, but I would suggest that we are all in this together.  Even if you don't agree, there are things you can do to lower risk, the easiest being washing your hands (check out Sanjay Gupta's video) and not touching your face, and staying home and limiting contact with people.  Please stay home if you can and wash your hands.  

Be safe and stay home if you can.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Hang in there Dom. I hope all your people come through this ok. We're waiting to hear back about my mom's test (in FL) although she seems to be getting over her symptoms so that's positive. My dad apparently picked up whatever she had and my sister is stuck down there trying to deal with all their shit by herself. I found out today one of my company's sales reps in another division and out on LI has been on a ventilator for the last week or so. I think his condition is improving but all the healthcare privacy rules prevent management from sharing any official updates. Things are getting very real around here. Like you said, we're all in this together.
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
In reply to this post by DomB
Dom....self quarantine is the right thing, but hopefully it ultimately proves unnecessary!  

I’m glad you guys have been able to see your dad in hospice.  My mother-in-law (80, diabetic, dementia) is in a rehab/nursing home/dementia unit and they are on lock down.  We haven’t been able to visit her for a couple of weeks.

Not that we really want to visit her, because she’s more of a monster-in-law (even before the dementia)....but my wife is a good daughter and still feels bad.
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottySkis1
Very sorry to hear that Dom B
Praying for u and everyone in your family.
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
All I know is this is going to be one hell of a South Park episode.
I don't rip, I bomb.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
I can’t believe one of the meme masters didn’t beat me to this one
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
In reply to this post by Johnnyonthespot
Johnnyonthespot wrote
All I know is this is going to be one hell of a South Park episode.
Saw a headline earlier claiming the Simpsons predicted this 20 years ago. I was still working so I didn’t click through but it must be true. The Simpson have pretty much covered every possible scenario at this point.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Potential spread Spring Break at Ft Lauderdale:

https://twitter.com/i/status/1242628347034767361
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
In reply to this post by DomB
Dom
what i'm going through is just a inconvenience

Hang in there
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
Zelda... not looking good this am symptoms seem to line up, trying to get her a docs appt.
We never got a test, but either false alarm or quick recovery.  She is happy today.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Harvey wrote
Harvey wrote
Zelda... not looking good this am symptoms seem to line up, trying to get her a docs appt.
We never got a test, but either false alarm or quick recovery.  She is happy today.
That’s good to hear
Reply | Threaded
|

wonderpony
In reply to this post by JasonWx
Today, I did my errands. I have a used N95 mask from my dad, from his woodworking. I wore that in Wegmans, and used the hand sanitizer on my way in and on my way out. That's what they did when my mom was in the hospital. I decided that was good protocol, and then washed my hands when I got home.

Agway brought my suet requests out to my car, when I called them in, along with some shade brackets so I can rehang the shade that fell on my head last night.

During my run this morning, I decided that the best thing to do was delay my laundry load and wear stuff that needed to be washed to the store, then throw the laundry in when I got home.

Tompkins county is officially in the doubling every three days situation.  There is no tp to be found, yet. I am reusing tissues after blowing my nose to save the tp.

But... Cornell wellness and my yoga studio have online classes. Running 2.2 miles has become easy. And, I now know where lots of dust and cobwebs are in my house. The next step is to remove them.

Stay safe and well!
WP
Reply | Threaded
|

wonderpony
In reply to this post by Harvey
Excellent!!!!
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
I know a lawyer who worked on one of the task forces determining which hospitals to close and which hospitals to shrink, maybe around 2004 or so. They’ve been doing this for a long time, both parties. I remember back then asking him how much surge potential they were leaving in the system to deal with a public health emergency. He didn’t have a satisfactory answer; I got the impression it wasn’t a factor in his work. I’ve thought about that conversation a lot lately.

https://nypost.com/2020/03/17/new-york-has-thrown-away-20000-hospital-beds-complicating-coronavirus-fight/?
Reply | Threaded
|

Jamesdeluxe
You may recall that I was in Switzerland from March 5-12. A few days after returning, I went to a nearby urgent-care clinic for a test given the amount of likely exposure on my trip: long flights, airports, eating in restaurants, hotels, handing cash and credit cards back and forth, etc.

It took 12 DAYS for Quest Diagnostics to provide results (negative). That's how bad our testing situation is. Just in case you think that the statistics we're reading about the level of infection are remotely accurate or up to date -- my money is on "not even close."
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
During the first week of January I was destroyed by what I called the flu. Hit a temp of 102.5 one afternoon but was at around 100 for 5 or six days. Had night sweats like I’ve never seen, chest hurt, coughing and exhausted. I was wiped out for 8 days but then felt very short of breath for around 6 weeks after. I’ve just started to feel like I’ve gotten my wind back.

Is it possible that I already had this thing?
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
raisingarizona wrote
During the first week of January I was destroyed by what I called the flu. Hit a temp of 102.5 one afternoon but was at around 100 for 5 or six days. Had night sweats like I’ve never seen, chest hurt, coughing and exhausted. I was wiped out for 8 days but then felt very short of breath for around 6 weeks after. I’ve just started to feel like I’ve gotten my wind back.

Is it possible that I already had this thing?
Sure but it’s also possible you just had a really bad flu or bronchitis. Did you go a doctor? Junior had a nasty bug in Feb. His flu test was negative but the doc said it looked like the flu and there is a high rate of false negatives in the test so he prescribed tamiflu anyway and it cleared right up.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
Girlfriend and I were just talking about this. She was sick first but her symptoms weren’t nearly as bad as mine, she is 12 years younger.

She became sick after traveling to Denver and meeting with her boss who travels constantly and was in China late November/early December. It does make sense.
1 ... 17181920212223 ... 63