|

Re: Coronavirus

Marcski
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Brownski
Hey Marcski, how are you doing? Working from home?
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
In reply to this post by Marcski
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Hospital tents being set up in Central Park. Damn
Reply | Threaded
|

tirolski
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by raisingarizona
Remember the race Mikaela still won when she could hardly breathe...
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/columnist/nancy-armour/2019/02/16/mikaela-shiffrin-shows-competitive-fire-while-sick-slalom-win-worlds/2890623002/

Many "hot spots" per population density are ski counties. More skiers in northern Italy than southern Italy. For minimizing infection spread bandanas/masks being critical. We got the eyes covered with googles...
Wearing a helmet... that's been debated already.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
i know there a 1000 vids out there..
He's a pulmonary dr at Columbia in NYC

very informative video on how to protect yourself

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YitWZj9QhdQ
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
In reply to this post by tirolski
tirolski wrote
Remember the race Mikaela still won when she could hardly breathe...
Are you suggesting she might have had COVID-19?  

I s’pose you can never say never....but I don’t think so.
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

tirolski
Antibody test is the method for prior SAR-Cov-2 exposure. Not much virus testing then other than "normal flu". Who knows.  
Lots of waiting around in lift lines this year at mega resorts for Pow seeking as well as much travel due to multi pass thingy.
Reported earlier of cases linked to packed apres in packed bar in Europe. Also FIS races draw large crowds.

I went to grad school down south and Saturdays are quite packed during football season.

Check map.
https://www.nbcnews.com/health/cold-and-flu/flu-season-fast-start-driven-unexpected-virus-cdc-says-n1097651
Noses run naturally more in cold weather which is a part of life for us O2 breathing mammals.
Wash hands, lather, rinse repeat.

Athletes could be "canary in coal mine" as an alert to world so shows can go on if ya want to. Just saying.

NBA shut down, cruise ship, Seattle nursing home were big canaries for us.
Remember Magic.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Yeah, but that race you linked to happened in Feb 2019.  Seems unlikely that what she had 7 months before COVID-19 broke out in Wuhan is the same virus that has ravaged the planet since November.  There are plenty of different respiratory illnesses out there.  Then again, who knows?
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

tirolski
Good catch. I remembered reading about the race she won even with flu like symptoms. Hopefully we all learn a lot from this. Immune systems will. Thanks.
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
Guessing you know cause its your business.  Check at the Chamber of Commerce website.  It explains how payroll loans work and how they can be forgiven.  May be you can bring that young lady back....and the other employees.  I have a couple pieces on it but can not upload to a public forum.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
I didn't see the whole presser today, but the part I saw was informative, and IMO motivating. Real information used to positive effect.

Still don't understand why places like Florida aren't acting. When you look at the state by state data, it sure looks like the distancing is having a positive effect.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
NYC nurses are asking you to #HoldtheLine by staying at home.

Yea I know TOTO, but crank it up and sing. It's 4 minutes of your life. The guitar riff in the middle is solid.

Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
Good song!!
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Concur!!
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
Watch for loss of taste and smell.
I don't rip, I bomb.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Johnnyonthespot wrote
Watch for loss of taste and smell.
Is this an attempt to get back on topic or are you expressing an opinion on Toto and/or some of the other posters' taste in music?
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Haha he's right!
Reply | Threaded
|

onscott
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
Still don't understand why places like Florida aren't acting. When you look at the state by state data, it sure looks like the distancing is having a positive effect.
Yes a positive effect for reducing cases/death but a huge negative effect on the economy.   What's the best balance point?  Beats me.  At this point in time we've had less deaths from CV in a month (~5,100) than this country has every day (~7,000) for various reasons.

I talked to my daughter today and asked her just who exactly is sick and dying in this whole thing (she's an RN in a hospital in NJ).  All the vents are being used and 90+% of patients are elderly...most from nursing homes.  Made sense but it's a small sample so I looked for something bigger and found Italy's results.  Here's what they are reporting:

Death from CV by age group - Italy
90+    6%
80-90    42%
70-80    35%
60-70    16%
<60    1%

So if you get the virus then these are your odds if the distribution holds true for the US.  Even that is misleading because a 30 y.o. doesn't have a 1% chance of dying...it's fairly linear with age.  Might it not make more sense to "lock down"/protect our elderly population and make that a priority instead of locking down a nation of healthy, productive young people?  At some point some natural immunity would help.  Hell, I'm guessing that most of us here on this forum  even at our age (I'm 58) are a lot healthier than most people half our age.  I know that in NYS the public officials are very careful not to reveal the details behind the deaths.  Why?
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
onscott wrote
  At this point in time we've had less deaths from CV in a month (~5,100) than this country has every day (~7,000) for various reasons.
Why do people keep saying stuff like this?

Look at the curve. Compare it to the curve of people dying for "various reasons". Don't you think the exponential curve of Coronavirus deaths... is important? Especially if you're making snapshot comparisons like "more 'various reason' deaths per day than Coronavirus deaths in the first month, hyuck!"

Also, I didn't know how many people just wanted to sacrifice the lives of our older generations for the good of "the economy", but it's more than I thought.
1 ... 18192021222324 ... 63