|

Re: Coronavirus

Johnnyonthespot
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

MC2 5678F589
Dude, you have to stop with the Fox News.

It's so hard to pick out the facts in articles like that because they fill it with so much propaganda, innuendo, and things that sound close enough to something that *could* be true, they are treated as fact.

"My sons say the chance of that is 0.00something" is not a scientific fact.

I know everyone wants good news, but you have to be very careful about news stories that tell you exactly what you want to hear.

It's like hyping a "Climate Change is solved!" article in 2015, like you did here:

https://forum.nyskiblog.com/Cold-Water-in-North-Atlantic-tp4063343p4063837.html
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by JTG4eva!
JTG4eva! wrote
onscott wrote
The bottom line is that CV is like having a 5 month flu season hit in 6 weeks.
I’m not sure that perspective makes me feel all that much better, and I’m pretty sure it just proves MC’s concerns......unless you are saying that COVID-19 will be gone in 6 weeks?  What makes you think that might happen....
Yeah, thanks, JTG, at least someone gets what I was saying.
Reply | Threaded
|

Milo Maltbie
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
campgottagopee wrote
While I still feel our Gov gets an A+ for his leadership during the Covid 19 pandemic, he gets a big fat F for controlling gun sales during this time. As I understand it only cops can buy a gun right now. He's taking rights away from citizens. Total BS.
You should be happy with that. At least the city slickers won't have guns when they come up here!

mm
"Everywhere I turn, here I am." Susan Tedeschi
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
Yeah, I have the same primary concern as you.  While my bother (the nurse) has always been focused on the fatality rate and relative lack of cases where he is...and he’s not convinced the tsunami of patients is coming (everywhere) and that this thing isn’t as dangerous as many are preparing for (because he thinks it’s all driven by clueless hospital administrators and bad politicians)....he seems to ignore the exponential growth aspect.  Frustrates me.  

Who knows, maybe he’s right.  Ten days ago US deaths were doubling every day (100% increase)....and in the last reported 24 hour period, while US deaths were more than 1,500, the % increase over the day before was only 35%.  Lack of testing underreports cases and overstates the death rate, but deaths are deaths.  Maybe the exponential growth is slowing?
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by Milo Maltbie
Milo Maltbie wrote
campgottagopee wrote
While I still feel our Gov gets an A+ for his leadership during the Covid 19 pandemic, he gets a big fat F for controlling gun sales during this time. As I understand it only cops can buy a gun right now. He's taking rights away from citizens. Total BS.
You should be happy with that. At least the city slickers won't have guns when they come up here!

mm
LOL

I meant I can certainly understand why some down NYC way may want a gun for personal protection. I know I would. Being prepared isn't being scared. Just like what the Gov has and is doing for NYS right now.

Just about everyone I know around here has guns so that doesn't bother me.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by JTG4eva!
JTG4eva! wrote
.  Maybe the exponential growth is slowing?
Yep.

The best we can hope for is that my prediction from last month comes true:
MC2 5678F589 wrote
Harvey wrote
I really hope that MC isn't quoting Z in 2 months because he was wrong.
Coach Predicts!!!

The thing is: the response (shutting events down, "social distancing", telling people to stay home from work) will ensure that Z is right. Because of our reaction to the pandemic, in a few months, the pandemic will appear to be overhyped.

The strain will be on the medical system. If we are able to "flatten the curve", we'll be fine ("fine" meaning: only 10s of thousands of old people will die instead of millions).

Then Z will swing by in a couple of months to tell us he was right and we were all fearmongering (he'll ignore the part where it could've been much worse)
Also, when I was reading that thread back, I was surprised at how billyymc was almost entirely correct, but constantly got shit on for his (informative) posts.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by frk
frk wrote
Is this an April’s fool joke? A+?!
For me, yes. I really don't like him at all, not even a little. But imo he's stood tall during this pandemic. From what I've seen of him he hasn't made this political and has resisted some poking at him. I have an appreciation for that.
Once we're past this he will pound his chest in political fashion. That's when I'll go back to hating him... LOL
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
I think it was more the way he said it not what he was saying.  I have been wearing a mask for three weeks...
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
MC2 5678F589 wrote
JTG4eva! wrote
.  Maybe the exponential growth is slowing?
Yep.

The best we can hope for is that my prediction from last month comes true:
MC2 5678F589 wrote
Harvey wrote
I really hope that MC isn't quoting Z in 2 months because he was wrong.
Coach Predicts!!!

The thing is: the response (shutting events down, "social distancing", telling people to stay home from work) will ensure that Z is right. Because of our reaction to the pandemic, in a few months, the pandemic will appear to be overhyped.

The strain will be on the medical system. If we are able to "flatten the curve", we'll be fine ("fine" meaning: only 10s of thousands of old people will die instead of millions).

Then Z will swing by in a couple of months to tell us he was right and we were all fearmongering (he'll ignore the part where it could've been much worse)
Also, when I was reading that thread back, I was surprised at how billyymc was almost entirely correct, but constantly got shit on for his (informative) posts.
 I hope so too MC
My gut tells me we haven't begun to see the worst.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Just a thought....
Some of you down by the city may want to go buy a pellet gun. They look real and may work as a visual deterrent.
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
They come in .22 caliber as well.
I don't rip, I bomb.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
I guess I should see if my brother gave me any ammo to go with the .22, and maybe order some more ammo for my son’s pellet gun.  Either rifle could look (?) intimidating (to someone who knows squat about weapons)...and maybe I could shoot someone’s eye out if the world goes to shit!

Shhhhh.....don’t tell Negan my weapons stash is so pathetic.

Maybe I’ll do some target practice on the f#%ing woodpecker that keeps beating his beak against the metal flashing on my chimney.  Sounds like a gd jackhammer in the house when he really gets after it.  Talk about bird brains.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Wouldn't hurt to check.

Good luck finding ammo.....shit is gone. Not at my house though.
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
MC2 5678F589 wrote
Dude, you have to stop with the Fox News.

It's so hard to pick out the facts in articles like that because they fill it with so much propaganda, innuendo, and things that sound close enough to something that *could* be true, they are treated as fact.

"My sons say the chance of that is 0.00something" is not a scientific fact.

I know everyone wants good news, but you have to be very careful about news stories that tell you exactly what you want to hear.

It's like hyping a "Climate Change is solved!" article in 2015, like you did here:

https://forum.nyskiblog.com/Cold-Water-in-North-Atlantic-tp4063343p4063837.html
Did you miss this part?
"He pointed out that not a single COVID-19 patient of his that has been on the hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin regimen for five days or more has had to be intubated"
Or this part?
"important randomized study still unpublished from Wuhan, China.”

He said that his team spoke to the medical leadership in China and vetted the study.

“We think it's real,” Dr. Oz said on Thursday.

He then went on to explain what the study, which looked at 62 patients, showed. He noted that half of the patients got the traditional therapy being offered in China and the other half got the traditional therapy plus hydroxychloroquine."
Or the rest of the article?
I don't rip, I bomb.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
The whole malaria drug thing seems promising.  Although more testing and study is required, I’d sure as shit want it if I was in the ICU with COVID-19.  Kind of funny that Trump was being lambasted for commenting on its promise early on, primarily because some idiots took his comments as license to imbibe fish tank cleaner.
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
Dr. Fauci did warn it isn't a knockout drug though.
I don't rip, I bomb.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
I'd like a NRA sticker for my front door!  
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by Johnnyonthespot
Johnnyonthespot wrote
Did you miss this part?
You're proving my point.

The article doesn't mention other (tiny) studies that have shown that hydrochloronique has no effect:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-04-02/hyped-malaria-drug-not-showing-much-effect-at-one-paris-hospital

https://www.newyorker.com/news/daily-comment/a-new-study-questions-the-effectiveness-of-a-potential-game-changer-against-the-coronavirus

Because you read an article that says a bunch of stuff that you want to believe, you assumed a bunch of shit (that the article wanted you to assume).

Meanwhile, you glossed over sentences in the article like this:
Currently there is no known cure for the coronavirus pandemic ravaging the globe
Edit to add this quote from that New Yorker article:
We are in desperate need of hope, true hope, and that means being clear-eyed about all the difficulties and obstacles we face—not only about the gaps in the findings of others but also about our own assumptions and conclusions.
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
You don't understand the difference between a cure and a treatment that reduces the effects.
I don't rip, I bomb.
1 ... 21222324252627 ... 63