classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
1058 messages Options
1 ... 40414243444546 ... 53
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Greek Peak Conditions

Cornhead
All of Elk's old lifts ran smoothly today.
Reply | Threaded
|

radskier
Had a short stop at lab, wasn’t long enough to make new friends 😒.
Reply | Threaded
|

radskier
Who’s in for a pool for which lift will break down next?  Will it be 2, 1, or the “express”??
Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
Skied until noon today, scratched our heads, and then headed home.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by Brownski
Brownski wrote
Yeah, 4 never opened. I was watching for it. I think chair 2 is my favorite though.
I like two too 😉

Anyone have Intel on what happened to 4? Hopefully they get it up and running quickly. I saw the noon cluster at 1A, after they opened 1 it certainly helped with said cluster.

@ Harv ---- had an itch that needed to be scratches. Skied a couple hrs, rode sled a couple hrs. I can dig that!
Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
campgottagopee wrote
Anyone have Intel on what happened to 4? Hopefully they get it up and running quickly. I saw the noon cluster at 1A, after they opened 1 it certainly helped with said cluster.
The shaft from the gearbox died.
Reply | Threaded
|

billyymc
So what's the common position on lift maintenance and overhaul?

As an outsider, it seems like GP primarily practices reactive maintenance. Something breaks, they scurry to fix it. Something else breaks, they again react and fix it.

Is that the most common practice in the industry? Or are there standards for preemptive maintenance that reduce the number of failures?

It would seem that given the age and state of some of Greek's lifts, that perhaps an overhaul plan is warranted. I don't see lift replacement as a viable choice for them right now - they really don't have enough traffic. But perhaps working with lift companies to go over their old lifts, determine which ones are in the most need of an overhaul, and establish a plan to replace all parts that could create safety issues or significant downtime.

Other industries have planned maintenance and overhaul schedules for critical equipment - aviation being at or near the top of that list.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
According to the snow phone this AM chair 4 and 5 are planned to come back online tomorrow.

Every ski area has lift issues. During my stay at Smuggs the Sterling lift was down for over a week, they had to helicopter in a new bullwheel for the top. That said, it does seem like GP has had their fair share of lift issues this year. Obviously we are seeing the wrath of years and years of neglect. I'm certain they'll get this turned around. It won't be an overnight fix but certainly something to look forward to.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
In reply to this post by billyymc
billyymc wrote
So what's the common position on lift maintenance and overhaul?

As an outsider, it seems like GP primarily practices reactive maintenance. Something breaks, they scurry to fix it. Something else breaks, they again react and fix it.

Is that the most common practice in the industry? Or are there standards for preemptive maintenance that reduce the number of failures?
Yes, there are preventive maintenance plans and standards for lifts. Parts and equipment have useful lives. For example, the chairkit loading conveyor on 1A has a useful life of five years. It began to die during year six. GP tends to be very reactive to repairs and maintenance. Only when "things" fail, are they replaced.

Given their very low debt load, a lift replacement plan is definitely feasible.

The owner needs an industry consultant to assess the resort and develop a long-term plan--not just from a capital improvement standpoint, but from a business and marketing perspective.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Rj1972 wrote

The owner needs an industry consultant to assess the resort and develop a long-term plan--not just from a capital improvement standpoint, but from a business and marketing perspective.
Curious ---- how do you know this hasn't been done?
Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
campgottagopee wrote
I don't, however, I doubt the owners spent money on a comprehensive study, given the cost. Of course, I could be wrong.

They have been running the place just as they have for decades, including the used lift that is lying in Parkathon rusting because installation permits were not in place on time.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Rj1972 wrote
campgottagopee wrote
I don't
Should've stopped there.
Reply | Threaded
|

wonderpony
In reply to this post by Dougski
I would love to see how that works!!

WP
Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
campgottagopee wrote
Rj1972 wrote
campgottagopee wrote
I don't
Should've stopped there.
Yeah, I know that John can do no wrong in your eyes, which is why they sold fewer season passes last year than they did the year prior to the bankruptcy. And that I do know for a fact.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Rj1972 wrote
campgottagopee wrote
Rj1972 wrote
campgottagopee wrote
I don't
Should've stopped there.
Yeah, I know that John can do no wrong in your eyes, which is why they sold fewer season passes last year than they did the year prior to the bankruptcy. And that I do know for a fact.
LOL, why do you have such a hard on for John?  You make a comment conjured up on pure speculation, that just seems very odd to me. Almost as if you enjoy slinging mud John's way. Weird.

So eight years ago they sold more passes (for less money) than they did last year. I'm not surprised by that at all, nor do I even care. Why do you? Do you know if they made the same $$$??
Reply | Threaded
|

Cornhead
Inconvenient breakdowns are one thing, lifts rolling back far enough to sweep people off the loading platform is another. Hopefully no one gets hurt, or worse, by Greek's ancient, and apparently, not so well maintained lifts.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
campgottagopee wrote
Rj1972 wrote
campgottagopee wrote
Rj1972 wrote
campgottagopee wrote
I don't
Should've stopped there.
LOL, why do you have such a hard on for John?  You make a comment conjured up on pure speculation, that just seems very odd to me. Almost as if you enjoy slinging mud John's way. Weird.

So eight years ago they sold more passes (for less money) than they did last year. I'm not surprised by that at all, nor do I even care. Why do you? Do you know if they made the same $$$??
They earned less on pass sales last year. Fact!

John bit off more than he could chew. You don't purchase a resort for $7.5M and expect to make the necessary improvements simply off of operating revenue. The infrastructure is crumbling at a pace faster than the improvements.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Again, pure speculation.

Not referring to pass sales, because who cares.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
campgottagopee wrote
Again, pure speculation.

Not referring to pass sales, because who cares.
Pass sales are the bread and butter. They fund early season snow making, and keep the place afloat over the spring, summer, and fall.
1 ... 40414243444546 ... 53