classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
1058 messages Options
1 ... 42434445464748 ... 53
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Greek Peak Conditions

campgottagopee

Buddy of mine sent me these yesterday while we were out to dinner.

I'm glad there were no injuries. Trucks and buildings can be replaced.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
In reply to this post by Dougski
Dougski wrote

Have you ever run a ski resort or a 'recreational" business that employs between 100 and 500 people?  I know a few who have, and its a whole lot of hard work and 24 hour days.  
Yes, I do own a business that employs a couple thousand.

No sour grapes or regrets with respect to Greek Peak, as I was primarily interested in Hope Lake Lodge. The reason I spent so much money on consultants is because I have never owned a ski area, and that was part of the package. I ultimately did not bid on the assets.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
campgottagopee wrote
I'm not disappointed now, I'm actually impressed with what they are doing. Somehow I'm supposed to believe that you would be doing better? Doing more? Nah, I ain't buying that. You come off as a sore loser with your constant armchair quarterbacking.
Nah, I'm not disappointed. I simply would have done it differently. Of course everyone thinks that their way is a better way, but I've learned long ago to surround myself with the cream of the crop, and listen to them.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by Rj1972
Rj1972 wrote
I guess it was about time for another insurance claim.
I realize this can be read more than one way.

Even so, without proof, it is IMO (way) over the line to post this on the internet.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
WOW.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
Rj1972 wrote

Even so, without proof, it is IMO (way) over the line to post this on the internet.
Point well taken.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
Rj1972 wrote

I concur with this. Then again it's not surprising given how RJ enjoys to poke at GP.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Rj1972 wrote

No sour grapes or regrets with respect to Greek Peak, as I was primarily interested in Hope Lake Lodge.
Thank God you didn't end up with it then.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Ski day 100!!!
Reply | Threaded
|

billyymc
That's quite a fire. On a positive note, nobody hurt, and since it's close to the end of season maybe not a big impact to current season operations.

As someone who has been pretty critical of GP in the past, here's my take for what little it's worth.

Their initial focus after acquiring the business seemed to be damage control followed by off-hill improvements (Trax, the deck, etc). They're following up with some very good on-hill improvements, specifically the snowmaking capacity. That's great, and it really showed this year.

The lifts really seem to be the worst part of the on-hill experience at the moment. Both in terms of their overall condition, and in terms of how they operate them.

I think if they have a plan in place that makes sense to repair / upgrade lifts, and to figure out how to better load / unload / run the quad, it would make a big impact. Oh, and their ticketing/computer network sux too.

Besides that I think the best thing they can do is invest in people to retain good employees. That guy Sean who apparently runs a lot of the operations seems like the kind of person they need more of. Pay him what he's worth and give him increased responsibilities.
Reply | Threaded
|

Dougski
RJ:

I believe that the current owner bought it because of emotion and  price and had no idea how to run it. The fact he and his former partner kept management in place adds to my belief that they had no idea how to run it.

I am not sure if the current owners, or anyone, can keep Greek in business for the long term, given that Greek is facing the major expense of climate warming and doesn't have access to deep pockets for major capital investsment like Hunter and the NY state Olympic Authority do.

I think that they had to use the limited money they have to make snowmaking improvements first, before attacking the lifts. Although I do wish the lifts will be improved too.  

I always my students ask why they come. I can tell you that many students drove up from Philadelphia, NY and Long Island and did not ski the Poconaos or Catskills.  The most common answer: we had more snow. They also tell me that our complete package (room, waterpark, ski, and food) can't be beat.

So, while I think Greek is facing some huge capital costs to improve lifts, it appears to me that they are doing something right.

Are you in the hospitality business?
Reply | Threaded
|

scrundy
In reply to this post by billyymc
Agree as a old season pass holder who purchased one this year for next season first time in 4 years. Greek is on the cusp of being a grade A ski destination. Think if they get their lifts squared away they are golden. My opinion is fix what they have now right to get them threw a few more years then invest in quicker better lifts. They really do have the best terrain in Central NY.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
scrundy wrote
My opinion is fix what they have now right to get them threw a few more years then invest in quicker better lifts. They really do have the best terrain in Central NY.
That's what John and Marc's original plan was in 2013. They were going to tackle lifts after year 5, with the installation of a high speed quad.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
campgottagopee wrote
Rj1972 wrote

No sour grapes or regrets with respect to Greek Peak, as I was primarily interested in Hope Lake Lodge.
I think you would have been more than pleased with the plans for the ski area side of the resort. It included significant upgrades, reconfiguration, and expansion during years 1 and 2.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Rj1972 wrote
campgottagopee wrote
Rj1972 wrote

I think you would have been more than pleased with the plans for the ski area side of the resort. It included significant upgrades, reconfiguration, and expansion during years 1 and 2.
Talk is cheap and that's all we're getting from you. TJ, who has an incredible nose on him, already said that the coulda, shoulda, woulda talk doesn't float. I don't believe you for one second.

I do believe that we'll see a new lift go in at Greek within the next year or two.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
Camp, would you like to purchase the copies of the studies from me? I'd be more than happy to recoup that expense? That will then put an end to your and my bickering about what true independent industry experts view as the requirements and potential of Greek Peak. Just keep in mind that the cost was more than the average home in Virgil.

I certainly hope that we see some new lifts, as the rollbacks on chair 5, as well as the mechanical issues on their other lifts didn't exactly create much customer enthusiasm. BTW, how did you enjoy chair 4 when you recently skied?
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Am I supposed to be impressed or something that you spent 100K on a study?

Chair 4 was broke but you already know that.
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
Yes. Super impressed some very smart people told them they needed to update the snowmaking and work on the lifts they were getting old.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
tjf1967 wrote
Yes. Super impressed some very smart people told them they needed to update the snowmaking and work on the lifts they were getting old.
A wee bit more than that.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
In reply to this post by tjf1967
I’m starting to think RJ would like to see Greek fail just so he could come on here and say I told you so. Obviously some of the lifts need rebuilds or replacements. The problems at the quad, small as they are, are skier- induced though. Too many kids and/or assholes who won’t share a ride. But please don’t replace chair 2. That thing is a treasure
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
1 ... 42434445464748 ... 53